Work accident is a discrete occurrence in the course of work leading to physical or mental occupational injury.
According to the International Labour Organization (ILO), more than 337 million accidents happen on the job each year, resulting, together with occupational diseases, in more than 2.3 million deaths annually.
Types Of Work Accident
1. Overexertion: Injuries from overexertion include, as sprains and strains.
2. Falling: It could be as simple as falling down stairs or tumbling off a roof.
3. Slips and trips: Slips and trips is one of the major causes of injury in the workplace, it can be caused by slippery surface, trip on obstruction, etc.
4. Falling objects: Occurs when material drops from height. majorly, unsecured materials.
5. Repetitive motion: Repetitive motion mostly result to musculoskeletal injuries. It’s a little less obvious, but repetitive motion injuries have an impact on many types of workers, from frequent computer users who struggle with carpal tunnel syndrome to auto mechanics who develop chronic back pain.
6. Fall from height: People working at height are really prone to fall from height when there is no good work at height management.
Main Causes Of Work Accident
Three (3) major causes of workplace accident are:
- Ignorance: I did not know – lack of knowledge, education or awareness.
- Negligence: Failure to exercise reasonable care.
- Carelessness: Not taking care. Not exhibiting due caution.
Read Also: Hazard and risk – Relationship and their difference
Managing Workplace Accident
Accident being an unplanned, unintended and un-wanted event should be prevented as much as possible.
Accident can be prevented using accident prevention plan.
Accident prevention plan include:
- Hazard identification and assessment
- Hazard prevention and control
- Education and training
- Program evaluation and improvement
In conclusion, work accident does not favour anyone as it has a lot of detrimental effects, hence, it must be prevented.