There are many types of accidents in the workplace which has resulted to multiple injuries, from mild to severe and death.
This article will briefly enumerate the types of accidents in the workplace with a brief highlight on each.
It is important that stringent measures be taken to prevent these accidents as they possess dire consequences.
Types Of Accidents In The Workplace
- Slips, Trips And Falls: Slips and trips can result to falls, they are among the most frequent type of reported injuries and have so far averaged approximately 25 percent of reported claims yearly. It has been reported that on average, approximately 50 people die each year from a slip, trip or fall and many more are injured. Slips can occur due to slippery floor, leaks, from materials and debris left in walkways, uneven floor or working surfaces, protruding nails and boards, bunched floor mats or uneven carpeting, holes or depressions in working surfaces, and also step-risers on stairs that are not uniform in height, etc.
- Caught in or between hazard: It is categorized by cave-ins, being pulled into or caught in machinery and equipment or being compressed or crushed between rolling, sliding or shifting objects.
- Struck By Moving Machinery: Struck by a vehicle or heavy equipment while in motion or any object that rolls, moves, slides. rotates, etc.
- Transportation and Vehicle-Related Accidents: This covers mainly struck by and crushed accidents as mentioned above.
- Fire and Explosions: This is the type of accidents that involves gas and other fire/explosion generating substances.
- Overexertion and Repetitive Stress Injuries: A repetitive strain injury (RSI), sometimes referred to as repetitive stress injury, is a gradual buildup of damage to muscles, tendons, and nerves from repetitive motions. RSIs are common and may be caused by different types of activities.
- Falling Object Accident: These are accident which involves falling object, i.e, equipment and materials falling from height on to an employee.
- Machine Entanglement: This occurs where materials such as long hairs, loose clothing, ties etc, get caught in a rotating part and draw the person into the machine.
- Assault or workplace violence: This is defined as any act in which a person is abused, threatened, intimidated or assaulted in his or her employment.
- Structural collapse: This type of accident occurs when a structure, permanent or temporary collapses and fall on workers thereby injuring them. It could happen during the demolition or dismantling process that is not well planned.
- Chemical spillage: This occurs when there is unplanned and unintended release of toxic liquid into the environment.
- Electrical accident: This is the type of accident involving unsafe use of electrical equipment. It could result to electric shock, electric burns or electrocution.
- Confine space accident: These are accidents peculiar to confine space entry like slip, trips and fall, suffocation, explosion, fire, etc.
This list is not exhaustive.
It is needful that these accidents be prevented as much as possible.
The next question will be, “How can we prevent this accident”? –
That can be achieved by following safety precautions – Check out some jobs specific safety precautions