Safety Tour is a form of safety inspection. It involves walking around the site/workplace to assess the general safety of the work environment and the safety practices. It is mostly an informal task as it is not carried out by external persons.
This practices can be carried out by designated persons voted into the safety tour committee; this committee may include a top management representatives, safety professionals, senior staff, workers representative, etc.
Tour aims at identifying non-compliance / failing system which will help in putting plans in place to correct non-compliance, thereby improving safety culture within the workplace. It has been proved that routine safety tour helps drive safety culture.
Specific Purpose Of Safety Tour
- Demonstrate visible leadership on health, safety and wellbeing
- Utilize the opportunity to give recognition and reinforcement of health and safety practices.
- Provide opportunity to identify hazards and risks, such as, caused by unsafe acts and unsafe conditions
- Encourage two-way discussions on health, safety and wellbeing.
- Encourage safe behaviours and improvement of general safety standards.
Read Also: 8 Important Qualitative Risk Analysis Methods
- Safety Tours should be conducted in an informal manner to ensure real work activity is observed.
- Safety Tours are concerned with people and how they work and their working conditions.
- Should any risk identified by unsafe act or condition be observed, the activity should be stopped until the appropriate controls are put in place.
- At the completion of the Tour a briefing/meeting should be held with the local manager for review and agreement on remedial actions.
- The local manager should be asked to brief the Executive on activities and any specific local policies in place prior to the commencement of the Safety Tour.