Pedestrian safety tips is for everyone who walks on foot while on the road/street as they are exposed to certain forms of risk.
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to transportation, but at one time or another everyone is a pedestrian.
Read Also: 25 Important road safety tips – Check Out!!!
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Carry a flashlight when walking at night.
- Cross the street in a well-lit area at night.
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Stay sober; walking when drunk increases your chance of being struck.
- Don’t assume vehicles will stop. Make eye contact with drivers, don’t just look at the vehicle.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing a street.
- Don’t wear headphones or talk on a cell phone while crossing.
- Never dart or dash out into the street.
- At night, wear light-colored clothes and if possible with reflective stripes.
- Do not play in the street
- Know and follow all traffic rules, signs and signals. You need to be aware of the rules vehicles around you must follow to properly anticipate what drivers will do.
- Use cross-walks when crossing the street. If a cross-walk is unavailable, be sure to find the most well-lit spot on the road to cross and wait for a long enough gap in traffic to make it safely across the street.
- Avoid walking along highways or other roadways where pedestrians are prohibited.
- Children under 10 need to cross the street with an adult.
- Pedestrians should be especially careful at intersections, etc.
Read Also: Check out some jobs specific safety precautions
To stay safe, never neglect these safety tips anytime you are walking on foot along the road/street.