The question “Which is the highest occupational health and safety certificate in the world“, has thrown a lot of Health and Safety Professionals into a state of conundrum.
In response to this question, I will express my personal stand-point on the subject matter.
I believe you are eager to understand my stand-point on the question. I also believe you have a stand point; at the end of this article, feel free to express your stand-point via your comments.
Question: Which is the highest occupational health and safety certificate in the world?
My stand point:
Based on my knowledge, the most recognized Health and Safety certificate awarding/membership bodies worldwide include:
- NEBOSH (Certificate awarding body)- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (See list of NEBOSH courses)
- IOSH (Certificate awarding/membership body): Institute of Occupational safety and Health (See list of IOSH courses)
- OSHA (Certificate awarding body): Occupational Safety and Health Administration (List of OSHA courses)
- BCSP (Certificate awarding body): Board of Certified Safety Professionals (List of BCSF courses)
- ISO (Certificate awarding body): International Organization for Standardization (List of ISO courses)
- IIRSM (Membership body)- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management.
- Aside from recognized certificate awarding bodies, there is also M.Sc (Masters of Science degree) in occupational health and Safety. This course is rated as a level 7 HSE certification in the UK.
All the courses provided by the top occupational health and safety awarding bodies/ the M.Sc program stated above are very important in the Health and Safety Profession.
Determining the highest occupational health and safety certificate in the world will be based on:
- The certification grade level
- Level of recognition
- General acceptability/rating among industry
The certification grade level
Based on certification grade level, the highest occupational health and safety certification is the “UK Level 7 HSE certification in occupational health and safety (M.Sc in Occupational Safety and Health)”, based on information at my disposal.
Here are series of high level certification in the field of occupational health and safety:
- NVQ (National Vocational Qualification) level 6 diploma in occupational health and safety.
- British Safety Council International diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (Level 6)
- NEBOSH diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (Level 6)
- M.Sc in occupational safety and health (Level 7)
With the level 6/7 occupational health and safety certification, you can be qualified for the highest level of membership in the highest occupational health and safety organization (IOSH or IIRSM).
Some status you can achieve are:
- CMIOSH (Chatered member IOSH) or
- A Fellow of IIRSM
- CSP – Certified Safety Professional
Level of recognition
Based on level of recognition, NVQ is not internationally recognized; whereas, NEBSOH diploma, British Safety Council International diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, and M.Sc in occupational safety and health are all internationally recognized.
Based on general rating, NEBOSH Diploma is the most generally recognized among industries, and it required for most job roles.
In summary, from the question – Which is the highest occupational health and safety certificate in the world?
My answer will be – The level 7 certification “M.SC in Occupational safety and health”.
Considering qualification status:
Here are some status that can be achieved; they are highly coveted safety status.
- Fellow IIRSM
- CSP, etc.
For questions and contributions, contact us.
Please share this article