Important NEBOSH command words
NEBOSH command words are instructional, operational or task words. It explains the approach that should be used in attempting the different questions; it helps understand the depth of the answer required.
This is why it is important that before you get into any NEBOSH examination hall, you must understand these command words.
Importance of understanding the NEBOSH command words
- It helps you understand how to approach every question
- It prevent you from wasting unnecessary time in questions that doesn’t require much answer depth.
- It help you acquire maximum point on questions.
The following definitions are included for a common understanding of the command words used in the compilation of NEBOSH question papers.
See command word and their Definitions
- Analyse: To divide or break down the subject matter or topic
into parts, reasons, aspects etc and then examine
their nature and relationship.
- Assess: To present judgements of the factors raised, their
significance, importance and why they are important
- Calculate: To ascertain or determine by mathematical
- Comment: To give opinions (with justification) on an issue or
statement by considering the issues relevant to it.
- Compare and contrast: To provide a point-by-point account of the similarities and differences between two sets of information or
- Consider: To offer some detail about an issue or event and to
deliberate about the value of that issue/event.
Define: To give the meaning of a word, phrase or concept,
determine or fix the boundaries or extent of. A relatively short answer, usually one or two sentences, where there is a generally recognised or accepted expression.
- Demonstrate: To prove or make clear by reasoning or evidence
how some relationship or event has occurred.
- Describe: To give a detailed written account of the distinctive
features of a subject. The account should be factual, without any attempt to explain.
- Determine: To come to a decision as the result of investigation
- Discuss: To give a critical account of the points involved in the
- Distinguish: To present the differences between; to separate into
kinds, classes, or categories.
- Evaluate: To determine the value or character of something by
- Explain: To provide an understanding. To make an idea or
- Give: To provide short, factual answers.
- Identify: To give a reference to an item, which could be its
name or title.
- Justify: To prove or show to be valid, sound, or conforming
to fact or reason.
- Outline: To indicate the principal features or different parts of.
- Recommend: To bring forward as being fit or worthy; to indicate as being one’s choice for something.
- Review: To make a survey of; examine, look over carefully
and give a critical account.
See other top NEBOSH related articles
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you