Ladder is one of the most used material in the job site. It is used mainly when it is not possible to do a particular job from the ground.
Though ladder can be very important in the job site, it can be risky and dangerous if not used right.
We will be highlighting the do’s and don’t’s of ladder to ensure working safely from the ladder. This is the concept of ladder safety.
Ladder safety precautions
- Make sure the ladder is in a good condition. Check for bends and cracks on the ladder before use.
- Make sure the ladder is placed on a stable ground
- Do not use a ladder close to an open edge where someone could fall off.
- Do not overstretch from a ladder. Work to where you can reach comfortably from the ladder. Instead of overstretching, go down and reposition the ladder.
- The ladder length should be suitable for the work. It must be at least two rungs above its landing point.
- Always observe the 4:1 placement ratio for the ladder to ensure balance.
- Only a trained worker should be allowed to use the ladder.
- Only make use of ladder if it is safe to do so. If not, other platform can be adopted for use; like scaffold, MEWP (Mobile Elevated Working Platform)
- Always maintain 3-point contact while working on the ladder.
- Always ensured that the ladder is well secured while working on it. Ladders should always be secured on the stiles not on the rungs.