Safe storage of gas cylinders: Safe Storage of gas cylinders is as important as Safe transportation and use. If Safe storage of Gas Cylinders is ignored, there could be serious detrimental effect incurred.
I will highlight “10 Tips for Safe storage of gas cylinders”
10 Tips For Safe Storage Of Gas Cylinders
- It is best to store cylinders in the open and on concrete in a fenced compound with some weather protection.
- In storage area, oxygen cylinder must be stored at least 3m away/separated by a fire wall from fuel gas such as acetylene, propane, methane, etc.
- Full cylinder should be stored separately from empties and empty oxygen cylinder should be segregated from empty fuel gas cylinders.
- Other products should not be stored in the gas storage area, especially not oil or corrosive liquids, source of ignition or flammable materials.
- Ensure ease of access into and around storage area, such as a provision of aisle >0.6m to prevent domino effect.
- Implement LPG cylinders special requirements including storage 3m away from other gases.
- Pyrophoric acid and toxic gases should be stored separately in locked, suitable ventilated storage area with restricted access.
- Protect gas cylinders from external heat source which may adversely affect their mechanical integrity.
- Cylinders should be secured and properly restrained. It can be secured with straps or chain connected to a wall bracket or other fixed surface, or by use of a cylinder stand.
- Cylinders should be clearly labelled to show content and associated hazards.