Importance of safety
I believe there is no one who does not appreciate the word SAFETY; even with very little understanding about it.
Safety as its rightly defined is – A condition of being protected from anything or situation which could likely cause danger, risk, or injury.
Just with this understanding, everyone will be happy to imbibe safety; even if not practiced, but as a religion.
However, from this definition of safety, we can equally draw out one reason safety is important; that is:
- Help protect against danger, risk and injury.
Though safety is deeper than it is defined above as is explained in one of my previous articles – What is safety (Read); we have still been able to draw out something from the literary definition of safety.
At this point, let me highlight the reasons why safety is important in three (3) broad categories:
These categories constitutes Why we practice safety?
Why is safety important
- Safety is important for moral reasons: Morally speaking, no one want to get hurt, and no one is happy that someone else gets hurt.
- Safety is important for economic reasons: When you are involved in accident, you spend money. Thus may be detrimental to your business.
- Safety is important for legal reasons: Since safety is a law, non-compliance will attract punishment in terms of fines, imprisonment or your business may be shut-down by regulatory bodies.
Lets break down the importance from the categories:
– Moral reasons
- Safety help prevent injury/dead to individuals
- Helps prevent damage to property and equipment
- Ensure a happy and healthy workforce
– Economic reasons
- Reduces lost time
- Increased financial benefits
- Safe money from payment of compensations, hospital bills, death right, etc.
- Improve productivity
- Reduce absenteeism
- Enhances company image & reputation
- Enhance competitive advantage in contract bidding
- Reduce workers turnover
- Attract competent and dedicated staffs, etc.
– Legal reasons
- Protect firm/organization from legal actions
From the benefits listed – Who will not love to enjoy all the above benefit.
The importance of safety cannot be over emphasized.
People say – If you think safety is costly, try accident
Answer these questions
Have you been injured before from accident? – How did you feel?
Have you seen someone get injured or die through accident? – How did you feel?
This feeling alone is enough reason to understand how important safety is.
Read Also: The fearsome hidden cost of accidents
Appreciate the importance of safety, act safe, and encourage others to do same.