Safety Specialist Job in Canada – Vancouver Communications
Company: Shaw Cablesystems
Category: Building Operations
Work Location: Calgary or Vancouver, Alberta, Canada
Employment Type: Full-time
Position ID: J1218-0598
Every day, our passionate employees connect our customers to the world and everything in it – it’s why we exist at Shaw, and it’s why we strive to be the place where the best people choose to work. Our people reflect the richness of our communities, and our culture is inclusive of each individual’s diverse background and perspective, which makes us a stronger team.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Shaw Communications Inc., the leading entertainment and communications company, has an exciting opportunity for a Safety Specialist located in either our downtown Calgary or downtown Vancouver office. This position reports to the Director, Safety & Building Operations.
The Safety Specialist works in collaboration with the Safety Services team, the management team, and safety committees throughout the organization, to achieve organizational goals related to a healthy workplace, incident and injury prevention, engagement and health promotion.
• Promote and align Shaw’s health and safety direction and approach with our culture, values, strategic intent and business objectives.
• Help to develop and implement progressive health, safety and emergency management system strategies and practices by researching current approaches, best practices, and reviewing internal metrics
• Analyze investigation reports, safety performance metrics, and internal feedback to continuously improve safety programs and practices.
• Direct, evaluate and improve incident investigation practices ensuring effective and cost efficient approaches are applied.
• Support Shaw’s approach to ensuring contractor safety.
• Work with other departments developing and delivering training to ensure safety compliance and positive impacts on injury prevention results.
• Provide information, support and guidance to local, national and executive level H&S committees.
• Lead the acquisition and maintenance of all safety certification
• Coordinate the development, delivery and monitoring of specialized and/or seasonal safety and health support programs.
• In collaboration with the Crisis Response Team, lead and assist preparation and mitigation of the impact of emergency and traumatic situations on the organization.
• Various other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• College or university level education in occupational health and safety. Preferably Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Health and Safety Consultant Designation (CHSC), Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) or similar recognized accreditation.
• Occupational health and safety experience
• Proven knowledge of, and experience with, applicable occupational health and safety and employment standards legislation, and best practices.
• Experience with leading the acquisition and/or maintenance of COR or similar safety certification.
• Working knowledge of disability management is an asset.
• Demonstrated skills in developing and maintaining records of safety activities and performance for quality improvement, risk management and other reporting requirements.
• Excellent leadership skills, with demonstrated ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines both individually and in a team.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and facilitation skills, change management and team building skills