Safety Specialist BorgWarner North Carolina – US
Job Ref: R2018-1599
Location: United States
Administer Environmental, Health, and Safety Programs. Plan, schedule, and direct day-to-day activities associated with employee safety, health, physical work environment, and environmental issues ensuring that compliance meets exceeds customers, employees, corporate, state, and federal expectations and/or regulations.
- Develop programs and procedures designed to reduce occupational and non-occupational accident/injury/illness experiences and ensure a safe work environment.
- Promote environmental, health and safety awareness throughout the organization through effective employee communications, participation, and programming.
- Ensure compliance meets or exceeds OSHA, State and local standards.
- Champion Global Star Safety Framework (GSSF) and continuation of certifications/registrations.
- Ensure plant management teams understand the inter-relationship between on-and-off-the-job safety, occupational and non-occupational health, workers’ compensation, and medical costs.
- Develop and recommend formal programs and policies to assure a safe plant work environment.
- Educate the management team and implement ergonomic concepts.
- Identify, evaluate, manage, and minimize all safety risks for the business.
- Develop and integrate waste minimization and recycling into all levels of product development and production.
- Develop formal job hazard analysis process for purpose of controlling hazards and minimizing safety risks.
- Establish a formal plant safety organization which will permit a high degree of employee involvement on safety teams, inspection teams, etc.
- Develop comprehensive wellness programs tailored to the specific issues of the plant population as identified through health care cost analysis.
- Develop and conduct training programs on industrial safety, industrial hygiene, and other related safety issues.
- Coordinate and conduct accident and loss investigations.
- Support and participate in Human Resources department team activities.
- Work closely with all levels in the organization.
- Development of specific work procedures to minimize risks. Training of employees on the procedures and enforcing their use.
- Facilitating workplace inspections and closure of findings.
- Facilitating employee involvement in developing, implementing and revising safety and health procedures
- Performance towards assigned site safety and health program objectives
- Timely incident investigations and correction of root causes
- Participation / attendance at safety meetings and training
- Tracking of safety issues to closure
- Perform other duties as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Four (4) years related experience in industrial health/safety/environment
- Thorough understanding of OSHA, EPA, and Workers Compensation
- Verbal and written communication skills for both internal and external
- Motivation and team-building skills
- PC literacy/Microsoft Office
- Thorough understanding of laws and regulations
- Organization and planning skills
- Read, analyze, interpret, and present technical information to all levels of the organization.
- Training skills
- Knowledge of automotive manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Health and Safety, or related field of study or equivalent certifications/training and experience.