Safety rules are set of information which aims at preventing accident. These rules should guide our daily activities both in the industrial and domestic setting.
Safety rules will guide your action at work, at home, on the road, while driving, when being driven, etc. You need safety rules in all aspect of your endeavours.
Based on the importance of these safety rules, I will highlight “55 Important safety rules you must apply to stay safe always”.
I have segmented these rules into four (4) categories –
- General safety rules
- Road safety rules
- Kitchen safety rules
- Electrical safety rules, etc.
- Report all workplace injuries and illnesses immediately
- Avoid unsafe acts
- Report all Unsafe Conditions to your Supervisor
- Use only safe equipment to work
- Use the right tool for the right job
- Do not play with work equipment
- Use equipment when qualified
- Use safe work clothing. Avoid using loose clothing, bangles, rings, etc, when working with a rotating wheel.
- Make safety your watch word
- Make sure you off your engine (Generator or car) before refueling them.
- Ensure that you have a workable fire extinguishers in your home and train occupants on how to use them.
- Clean up every spill immediately; Remember – A spill, a slip, a hospital trip.
- Eat safe food – Do not eat indiscriminately; eat balanced diet.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption
- Get good sleep
- Never push yourself beyond your limit
- Adopt safe manual lifting technique
- Use your personal protective equipment (PPE) where necessary.
- Arcing kills – Work only in a safe clearance from a high tension line
- Assume that all power lines are energized until ascertained otherwise by a competent person.
- Discourage indiscriminate smoking. Smoking should be allowed only in designated areas.
- Ensure waste are adequately categorized, well stored and appropriately disposed.
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of all chemicals should be obtained to ensure safe usage
- Wash your hand thoroughly after work before you eat
- Inspect equipment before, during and after use.
- Follow the laid down safety regulations for all peculiar activities – Hot work regulation, COSHH, Work at height, etc.
- Do not share sharp objects.
- Do not share reading/working glasses
- Visit medical personnel anytime you don’t feel alright; avoid self-medication. SELF MEDICATION KILLS
- Use seat belt when on transit, it could be your life saver.
- Maintain safe speed limit
- Always watch out for road signs; it is always saying something
- Be careful when driving on a wet road – The tyre friction is always very low for your brakes to hold appropriately.
- Beware of careless drivers
- Avoid distractions while driving – Distraction may be from your phone, car player, your passenger, etc.
- Avoid drunk driving
- Don’t drive at night if you do not have a good sight
- Don’t drive when sleepy. If you feel sleepy while driving, pullover in a safe area, take a nap before you continue.
- Don’t be too much in a hurry to ignore the traffic light.
- Ensure routine checks and maintenance on your vehicle before you embark on any journey with it.
- Avoid driving on an unfamiliar road at night.
- Do not receive calls when cooking with gas cooker
- Place your gas cylinder meters away from the cooker – If possible, keep the cylinder outside your kitchen.
- Store your cooking utensils safety. Avoid merging sharp utensils like your knife with spoons; you will be exposing yourself to cuts.
- Your kitchen shouldn’t be a playground for your baby.
- Cover your food well to avoid food poisoning
- Make sure you wash everything bought from the stores before using them.
- Cylinder host should be checked often for signs of breaks or crack. It should be changed immediately if any damage is identified
- Avoid running cable leads on the floor, it will expose them to damage and increase the risk of tripping and falling and electric shock.
- Never overload your socket
- Get only trained electrician to attend to your electrical needs.
- Put damage electrical equipment out of use, do not improvise.
- Don’t sleep with your phone on the bed if it is plugged into a power source.
- Switch off all electrical appliances before you leave the house.
- Ensure earthing of your electrical facilities