Health Environment and Safety (HES) Specialist South Africa – Chevron
Location: Durban, Kwazulu/Natal, ZA
We operate 100,000 barrels per day refinery in Milnerton, Cape Town, that produces gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil, paving asphalt and other products. Chevron South Africa also has interests in a lubricant oil manufacturing plant in Durban and maintains a laboratory and blending plant there.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Health Environment and Safety (HES) Specialist located in Durban, South Africa through 13 July 2018.
Provide HES and OE (Operational Excellence) Support across departments in Supply Chain
- Act as initial point of contact and focal point for all departments in Supply Chain on HES and OE deployment at the local level
- Define facility HES requirements such as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), safe work practices applicable to GL SC
- Define facility OE requirements such as equipment reliability, engineering standards, etc
- Work with LMP LT OE & HES leadership to fully implement, improve and sustain work processes. Act as the focal person for the Durban Lubricants Unit regarding the performance metrics/reports required by the regional leadership.
- Work with both the facility leadership team & the line organization to ensure that Supply Chain’s vision on OE & HES is aligned with CGL’s direction & that the vision is broadly communicated to all
- Work with HES personnel of the joint facility in the Durban terminal, regarding the formulation and implementation of the security and emergency response plans for the Durban Terminal and for Supply Chain, South Africa. Also acts as focal point for developing and implementing inspection and maintenance program.
- Acts as a custodian for all the OE/HES/Security processes as well as fire emergency equipment.
- Monitor and communicate local industry practices, legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Lead the process leaders in liaising with local & national government in securing the required permits and licenses pertaining to health, environment & safety.
- Provide HES support and conduct training to all functions within Lubricants SC.
- Provide HES knowledge to all functions in Lubricants SC
- Provide HES training as necessary to Lubricants SC emergency response team
- Liaise with LPS Coordinator to deploy LPS within Lubricants SC and tracking LPS tools usage regularly.
- Being QMR of ISO:9001, and EMR of ISO:14001
Conduct HES/OE review and performance reporting
- Monitor the PPE and safe work practices implementation in SC Durban
- Conduct OE walk-about and monthly HESS Committee meeting to review the audit result for resolution.
- Compile, monitor HES performance statistics in all functions within SC and report to SA Manager as per target date
- Facilitates and conduct root cause investigation for incidents and prepare investigation report for SC Manager, Operations Manager and Logistics Manager.
- Lead in the implementation and monitoring of all OE & HES related policies and programs. Tracks and monitors the progress toward completing the tactical plans and action items at the facility level.
- Work with APGL OE & HES leadership, corporate HES, process leaders & HES personnel to identify best practices available regionally & locally that can help to implement on-going processes efficiently. Develop & implement a mechanism for monitoring and reviewing OE & HES performance.
- Lead the monthly HES meetings. Update facility leadership on HES issues. Provide needed OE/HES training to local leadership/workforce in line with APGL direction
- Act as local point contact for all the OE/HES related items to line management
- Conduct OE-HES and facility audit at least once a year. Work with process leaders to formulate corrective & preventive actions arising from the audits.
- Develop and enforce a plan to eliminate identified potential hazards.
- Initiate, monitor & implement change management tools and techniques.
- Prepare and update required HES reports and metrics. Document and maintain HES records.
Operational Excellence – Equipment Reliability
- Establish, document, maintain and improve on OE management system.
- Directly responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of both Lube Oil and Grease Plant equipment and facilities.
- In coordination with the Maintenance Team, Operations & Warehousing Supervisors and nominated staff, performs monthly HES/Housekeeping audits and ensures that findings are properly recorded and corrected.
- Supervises and monitors the proper upkeep and housekeeping of plant facilities.
- Enforces strict observance of HES Operating Policies and Procedures in both Lube Oil Blending/Filling and Grease Plant
- Initiates and prepares work requests, supervises and monitors the work/repairs being done by contractors and ensures timelines are met.
- Provides regular and as-needed support and assistance to the Supply Chain team.
- Compiling the data for the reporting of On-Time Info (OTIF) and taking appropriate action to improve on the supply and distribution chain, promoting service awareness and reliability with full compliance to ISO Standard.
- Ensure an annual & a 3-year tactical plan are developed that identify key HES risks and gaps and that specific actions are well defined to address the issues.
- Ensure that the OE & HES management system is closely linked to the business planning process.
- Work with the leadership team to ensure that adequate resources are available at the facility level to efficiently implement and sustain the OE & HES programs.
- Work with the leadership team to set metrics and aggressive targets in the local level to achieve world class performance.
- Bachelor’s degree holder
- 5 years’ work related experience
- Excellend communication and influencing skills
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
- Knowledge of operational excellence process
- Understanding of reporting process
- Proven solid presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to identify and build key relationships that contribute to high-class business results
- Demonstrated commitment to Chevron’s values of integrity, partnership and trust and achieving an incident and injury free environment
Relocation may be considered within Chevron South Africa parameters.
Selected candidates will work in South Africa under the local payroll system and benefits.