Technical principal – environment and sustainability Mott MacDonald UAE
Contract Type: Permanent
Work Pattern: Full-Time
Location: United Arab Emirates
Job Expires: 18-Jul-2018
The main function role is to lead and develop Mott MacDonald’s Environmental, Sustainability and Waste Management Business across the Middle East region. The position also involves fulfilling the roles of Environmental Practice Leader and Regional Sustainability Leader for Middle East and South Asia.
The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the commercial performance of the regional environmental and sustainability portfolio including work winning, staff utilisation and profitability.
The successful candidate will have a well-established profile within the regional environmental sector, a track record of active participation at industry events and a willingness to develop Mott MacDonald’s aspirations to become recognised thought leaders in environment and sustainability.
The role will focus on developing and building on the current team whilst also looking to develop existing and new opportunities, including the identification of new service lines. The resource team is currently based in the UAE and Qatar but the establishment of teams in other offices within the GCC and closer integration with the South Asia operation will be required. It should be noted that the Technical Principal will be required to coordinate with multiple project requirements in various offices and liaise with other discipline Technical Principals who may reside in different offices. In this regard travel may be required.
As well as being a technical leader in an environmental, sustainability or waste management discipline, the successful candidate will demonstrate a proactive and enthusiastic approach, demonstrate strong strategic and commercial acumen, with a focus on collaboration and delivery of excellence and an ability to develop high profile relationships within the industry. You will have significant experience in delivering environmental, sustainability and/or waste management services across a range of sectors and a demonstrated track record in winning the volume of work required to sustain and expand the current team.
The role is expected to be a combination of billable work, business development (including proposal preparation), operational management and technical leadership. It is the function of the Technical Principal to maximise their value and reimbursability on project and proposal work.
Essential Candidate Requirements:
- Masters degree in a relevant environmental discipline, environmental chartership status preferred.
Minimum of 15 years of proven, relevant experience including at least 5 years operating in a similar role.
- Thorough knowledge of regional environmental legislation and guidance.
- Thorough understanding of regional legislative and policy drivers for the environmental, sustainability and waste management services.
- Recognition within the industry as an innovator and technical leader.
- Proven track record in growing and developing a regional environmental team.
- Significant client facing experience and proven track record in work winning.
- Previous experience in managing and delivering technical excellence on significant projects.
- Demonstrable experience of effectively managing budgets, resources and contractual risks
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Multi-sector Middle East experience including transportation, water, built environment, advisory, power and oil and gas and span a range of project types.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and inspire a diverse team of environmental practitioners and network effectively across the Mott MacDonald Group.
- In Mott MacDonald, we have a strong policy ethical behaviour and expect the highest standards of ethical practice.
- These are at the core of our corporate values hence do not engage in any aspects of bribery or corrupt practice. As such, we expect staff must always act:
2. With integrity
3. With due skill, care and diligence
4. In good faith, and
In compliance with all applicable laws
5. Ability to relate to people of diverse cultural backgrounds
6. Ability to effectively communicate at all levels including external stakeholders
7. Leadership and/or managerial experience along with mentoring skills
8. Ensure MacDonald HSE policies are implemented and adhered in every activity
9. Sound knowledge of professional and international standards
10. Ability to secure own account work in environmental, sustainability and waste management services.
11. Experience of KSA market and an understanding of related growth potential of high value environmental advisory services an advantage.
12. Excellent verbal and written English language skills are essential. Arabic speaking ability an advantage.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions
- Proven negotiation and influencing skills at an executive level.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet project deadlines.