Specialist II, Environmental Health & Safety Andersons Inc
Location: North Sioux City, SD
This position is accountable for overseeing the implementation and administration of the hazard management program over the Plant Nutrient Group.
- For assigned area and facilities, maintain and ensure compliance with all relevant federal, state, and local HSE regulations. Develop site-specific hazard reduction and compliance improvement strategies.
- Train supervisors and employees in exposure identification, monthly housekeeping, inspection of facilities and equipment, and identification and reporting of potential hazards. Facilitate regularly scheduled training programs and maintain related documentation.
- Develop employee, new hire, and contractor EHS training programs and procedures.
- Assist facility management in coordinating required environmental data collection activities, field inspections, record keeping, and reporting requirements as is necessary to comply with air and water pollution permits as well as all federal, state, and local environmental protection agency’s rules and regulations.
- Ensure all databases are maintained with accuracy and up-to-date information, holding facility staff accountable for keeping data and reporting compliant per the company’s hazard management program.
- Schedule and attend (or assist in facilitating) required inspections and employee testing. Review resulting documentation to assure noted issues are clear and concise.
- Develop an understanding of the supervisory, administrative and day-to-day operating requirements of the assigned area, seeking to maintain good working relationships with all employees, research opportunities to improve facility safety culture, customer safety & service, and operations efficiency.
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Intermediate knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher level knowledge and skills.
- Solves a range of straightforward problems.
- Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures.
- Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
- Continually seek training in all safety fields in order to understand regulations that affect assigned facilities.
Minimum Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 2-5 years’ relevant experience required
- Ability to regularly travel to company sites outside of Iowa; including but not limited to: Nebraska, Ohio, Michigan and Indiana – 20% travel time
- Must have valid driver’s license and be willing to drive for up to 4-hour periods.
Behavioral Safety Experience required
Support and train all levels of the organization on behavioral safety, specifically peer-to-peer observations.