Site Safety Manager Atlanta United States
Requisition ID: 2018-24332
Work Location: US-GA-Atlanta
Department / Discipline: Construction
Position Type: Fixed Term
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a Project Safety Manager. You will report to the Project Director and have the responsibility to provide leadership and focus on Health and Safety Practices for the Project. Leadership Practices will include working closely with Site Managers, Superintendents, Project Managers and project safety personnel to effectively implement and maintain the Company’s Safety program with focus toward all company employees and subcontractor employees within the project. Additionally, the Project Safety Manager will work with the project personnel to implement safety protocols, conduct pre-task planning efforts including the writing of Health and Safety Plans (HASPs), Accident Prevention Plans (APPs), and Activity Hazard Analysis (AHA’s), ensure compliance, and mentor both employees and subcontractors in the implementation and practice of the safety program.
- Provide leadership and manage all aspects of health and Safety for all individuals and subcontractors within the project, ensuring compliance with Company Policy, Project and Client Specific Policy and OSHA requirements. Major focus will be on safe work practices and pre-task planning. The Project safety Manager will be a leader that can motivate others to perform construction and non-construction tasks safely and to buy into the company’s Beyond Zero Safety Culture including any project specific safety program.
- Prepare or Review / Approve Accident Prevention Plans (APP), Site-Specific Health & Safety Plans (HASP), and all necessary documentation required by Amec Foster Wheeler and OSHA, including but not limited to Respiratory Protection Plans, Hazard Communication Programs, Lead Abatement Plans, Asbestos Abatement Plans, Fire Prevention Plans, Critical Lift Plans, etc.
- Prepare and assist project managers and site safety personnel with completion of Activity Hazard Analysis prior to the start of project or critical scopes of work. Ensure that AHA’s are posted and communicated with insistence that all personnel follow the AHA’s.
- Conduct work area inspections and or audits. Conduct formal monthly training to all company employees and measure effectiveness through quizzes or other processes to measure participation and comprehension.
- Conduct accident investigations and prepare reporting documents in accordance with OSHA, Client and Amec Foster Wheeler requirements, maintain OSHA 300 logs or equivalents
Lead both formal and informal training sessions at job sites and offices.
- Assist with determination of means, methods and equipment during pre-construction evaluation phase
Establish and ensure / conduct job site / office orientation for every new employee and Subcontractor for the project or office, administer and ensure the recording of their participation in the orientation program and develop and implement a program to identify those employees completing the orientation program.
- Attend initial meetings with the Project Staff and Subcontractor representatives to clearly define their role within the confines of the Project Safety Program
Conduct / assist with pre-planning safety meetings with subcontractor safety representatives and / or foremen to establish safety procedures prior to subcontractors activity on site and document meetings.
- Verify that regular (weekly) safety meetings are held at the jobsite between Project Team and subcontractor representatives including attendance and participation when schedule allows.
- Ensure that Subcontractors are conducting the proper training requirements as per the proper standards. If necessary, facilitate training for site personnel for compliance with Company, Federal, State and Client Safety standards
Review each Subcontractors Safety Program to verify that it meets or exceeds the project Safety Program requirements.
- Establish and assist with the development and implementation of Emergency Response Plans, to include proper fire prevention, evacuation and fire control procedures.
- Ensure all home office and field personnel are up to date on all compliance requirements required by contract (OSHA 30-hour, first aid, CPR, etc.)
- Ensure that all required signage is properly posted and maintained at offices and work areas.
- Assist Project Managers in the event of an OSHA inspection.
- Oversee project to ensure the reporting and written documentation of safety deficiencies found; the assignment of any necessary corrective action to responsible party has been carried out and; follow up to document that any corrective actions have been completed as scheduled.
Skills / Qualifications
- A four year degree in Safety and Health or equivalent is preferred.
- At least 15 (15) years of safety experience within the construction industry and knowledge of safety / environmental principles and techniques.
- Certification as Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) or higher is required.
- CSP (Certified Safety Professional) certification or the ability to obtain CSP within one year is required.
- Proficiency with OSHA standards, environmental regulations, and quality control.
- Advanced knowledge of the construction industry practices, risk management and field operations required.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, communication and analytical skills are necessities.
- Ability to identify known / potential exposures and recommend corrective actions.
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office suite programs.
- Strong management, leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
Competent Person designation is a plus. When applying for this opportunity please indicate any competent person designations and / or training you have. When applying for this opportunity please indicate training courses you have completed. Training courses on the following list that are not completed are expected to be completed within a reasonable time. Successful applicant will develop a training plan within 2 weeks of starting work to complete those uncompleted courses within a reasonable amount of time. Completion of the following training Courses is a plus.
- 30 hour Construction Safety
- Concrete and Masonry Construction
- Confined Space Entry
- Cranes and Rigging
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Electrical Safety
- Emergency Action Plans
- Excavation Safety
- Hand and Power Tools
- Hazardous Materials
- Construction Health Hazards
- HAZWOPER (Basics, 8hr, 24hr, 40hr)
- Log out / Tag out
- Materials Handling and Storage
- OSHA Record Keeping
- Personal Protective Equipment