Senior Advisor, EHS Job in Canada
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Department: Can – Shared Services (Corporate)
Category: Environment / Health & Safety
Benefits: Full-time Benefits
Business Unit: Network Services
AFL is a leading provider of integrated solutions in the fiber optics industry. By offering expertise, products, and services in engineering, construction, and installation and repairs, AFL provides end-to-end solutions for customers’ broadband networks. From being environmentally-conscious to ensuring a healthy and safe working environment, AFL invests in its employees. AFL proactively engages with its communities through grants, service projects, environmental initiatives and more.
Through a culture of commitment and collaboration, the company is a trusted advisor for customers in the telecom, oil and gas, and utilities markets. AFL is proud of its impact on communities, connecting people with innovative technologies, exceptional products, and high-quality services.
We have a reputation in the fiber optics industry for consistently being at the forefront of technology and innovation. Want proof? We were founded in 1984 with a single product, fiber optic ground wire. Today, we sell thousands of products and services to multiple markets across the globe and have become a billion-dollar company in revenue.
Not only do we have a track record for growth and financial stability, but we are also backed by Fujikura, a $6 billion company with a 128-year history of product innovation. With our culture of commitment and professional growth opportunities, AFL will give you the opportunity to reach new heights and take your career to the next level.
AFL has operations in Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Europe, Asia, and Australia and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujikura Ltd. of Japan.
Under the general guidance of the Manager, EHS, this position is responsible for guiding Operations Managers to champion the environmental health and safety of all employees on AFL Canada’ s project sites.
The Senior Advisor, EHS will be a resource to line managers and employees to achieve AFL’s goal of zero accidents by ensuring employee safety and compliance with all safety standards.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESULTING OUTCOMES:
1. Develop, implement and facilitate training programs for new and existing employees on pertinent safety and environmental health topics to meet and maintain business needs and improve performance
2. Represent AFL in internal and external client/consultant meetings related to EHS
3. Develop, implement and evaluate programs and procedures for all areas of operation that enhance safety awareness and compliance with federal regulations, industry best practice, as well as corporate guidelines and policies
4. Develop, champion and promote EHS strategy, goals, and related programs
5. Provide reports, assist and advise management and senior management on safety and loss control matters, including providing performance data/analysis and recommendations for improving awareness and performance
6. Advance the EHS Management System and further develop and document relevant corporate EHS policies and procedures
7. Monitor health, safety and environmental protection compliance at the project level by conducting workplace inspections and audits
8. Provide advice on interpretation of local government requirements and Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) act, regulations and codes
9. Liaise with regulatory authorities to promote safety and resolve any issues of non-compliance
10. Review company’s occupational safety policies, guidelines, standards and processes to determine consistency with accepted principles and practices and recommend technical changes as needed
11. Remain current with EHS regulations to ensure company policies are compliant and relevant
12. Ensure business unit is COR compliant
13. Facilitate, provide advisory support and training for Joint Occupational Health and Safety (JOHS) committee. Ensure terms of reference are established and followed
14. Assist line management and JOHS committee in investigation of incidents and near misses, including: identifying root causes and trends, recommending accident prevention methods and completion of reporting
15. Coordinate return to work program, including modified duties, for employees returning from occupational injuries
16. Protect AFL’s values by keeping information confidential
17. Enhance AFL’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishment
18. Adhere to and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of AFL
19. Help build and maintain positive relations within the team
20. Employee may be asked to perform other ancillary or related duties as required, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Knowledge & Experience
· 3-5 years’ direct EHS experience in the Telecommunication and/or Construction industry is an asset
· Current CRSP, CHSO, NCSO or other professional EHS designation
· Thorough knowledge of federal and provincial environmental health and safety acts, policies, regulations, codes and practices as they apply to the telecommunication/construction industries
· Knowledge of hazardous material recognition, controls or abatement and experience in general occupational hygiene principles is preferred
· Experience in conducting training and formal presentations to audiences of various sizes and types
· Valid class 5 driver’s license and able to meet AFL’s internal Motor Vehicle policy
· Proficient in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Skills and Abilities
· Leadership – direct others and develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods
· Flexible – open to change/new information and rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles
· Detail oriented – excellent attention to detail with the ability to follow through on assigned tasks
· Independent – ability to work well under limited supervision
· Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving – capable of complex reasoning analysis
· Results focused – driven to achieve
· Interpersonal skills – able to collaborate on projects, maintain effective relationships, and communicate clearly at all levels of the business
· Adaptability – capable of working in a fast-paced environment, adapt to various situations, and prioritize multiple work assignments simultaneously
· Team Player skills – Possess strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise and follow leadership directives at appropriate times
· Normal office environment with frequent travel to various sites and locations
· 40 hours/week, with general hours of Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
· Ability to work extended work hours as the need arises, as in the case of emergencies at a work-site, may be required