Safety Supervisor Trainer Job in Canada – Aecon Group
Business Unit: Major Projects East
Province/State: Ontario [ON]
Country: Canada [CA]
MTG- a consortium comprised of Aecon, Dragados and Dufferin- is seeking a Safety Supervisor Trainer. Reporting to the Environmental Health and Safety Manager, the Safety Supervisor Trainer is a leader of safety excellence, responsible for ensuring compliance of the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) plan and will oversee all the training orientation, and supervisor training as needed along with Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training of all members of the organization.
Promote the highest level of safety throughout Mosaic Transit Group.
Participate and support the “pre-planning” stages of the creation of the EHS program and training program.
Implement and administer the EHS Program and present safety presentation to all stakeholders including management, clients and craft workers.
Train employees, and all involved stakeholders in Project Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) practices.
Perform audit functions to ensure compliance with COR and ISO 18001.
Participate in and be an active member of the Joint Health and Safety (JHS) Committee.
Provide direction and support to for all supervisors regarding their responsibilities for maintaining a positive safety culture.
Provide physical assessments and ergonomic skills training.
Investigate claims and incidents of questionable conduct, accidents, including documentation.
Review project plans and project sites before work commences, identifying safety-related risks.
Inspect active project sites to evaluate ongoing work conditions to guarantee compliance with Occupational Health and Safety standards.
Liaise with external parties such as government inspectors, sub-contractors, and general public.
Work with project management teams and field workers to implement and devise solutions to safety-related issues on project sites.
Other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills
· Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) degree or certificate.
· 5+ years industry experience.
· Ability to develop lesson plans and effectively deliver courses by lecture, demonstration and use of audio-visual technology
· Working knowledge of the basics of auditing principles to reduce on-the-job hazards and prevent injuries, and illnesses, in the workplace.
· Know, understand and implement Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) policies.
· Know, understand and provide guidance regarding employee and contractor responsibilities as per Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) legislation and project policy
· Responding to unanticipated events to ensure excellence in customer care.
· Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
· Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
· Ability to manage time and work with minimum supervision.
· Extensive knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) acts and regulations specific to construction projects
· Experience in transportation, particularly mass transit systems and or heavy civil construction an asset
· National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) required.
· Supervisory experience preferred.
· Preferred Certificate of Recognition (COR) auditor.
· ISO 18001 Lead auditor preferred.
Working Conditions/ Physical Effort:
· On site and at office
· Must be familiar with and have ability to work around high voltage and other utilities such as gas, sewer and water mains.
· Walking on rough terrain, climbing of stairs, ladders, and potential entry into confined space and working at heights
· Work in all weather conditions
· Administration work / Report writing