Safety induction is an act of introducing new employees to how the health and safety system works in an organization. It intimate them on the do’s and don’t of the organization as regarding health and safety.
To have a successful safety induction, there are important areas that should be covered, these areas includes:
- What is health and safety: They should understand what health and safety means and what it covers.
- The organizations health and safety policy: You should intimate them on the organization’s health and safety policy; at least the statement of intent.
- The organization’s health and safety goal – like “The Goal Zero”. Zero accident and Zero Injury
- Basic terminologies in health and safety, since they will be hearing of it as they proceed on their job. Like hazard, risk, unsafe act, unsafe conditions, near miss, etc.
- Safety communication channel: The channel of communication to follow in case of any health and safety concern. They should understand where to channel their complains to.
- Need to participate in safety meeting and accident investigations.
- They should understand the organizations environment map: This will include educating them on the emergency alarm, location of the muster points, emergency exits, fire alarm switch, welfare facilities, etc.
- Workers safety responsibilities: They should know their responsibilities as a worker.
- They should know how the PPE’s work and how best to use them.
- They should understand that safety is for them.
Download free safety induction guide PDF here
Also Read: What is fire risk assessment: How it is done