Safety awareness is an act of being conscious of your environment, understand the dangers surrounding you in that environment, and also understand how to ensure your safety within the environment.
It’s when these three (3) aspects are covered, that’s when we can talk about “Good awareness to safety”.
Also, it is said to be an understanding which is achieved over time through experience and training.
Poor safety awareness is a big challenge in the safety profession. Since everyone does not come from the same background, our perception about things, situations and actions are different.
It will take more than just an advice to make a private roofing carpenter who has been doing that job for more than 10 years without any fall protection and has never fell from the top of a roof to believe he needs a body harness to prevent him from falling.
How will you convince him?
At this point, his awareness to working at height risk is ZERO. This is why the aspect of safety awareness is very important.
However, as a safety personnel managing different people from different background and with different orientation, you have a duty to improve their awareness about safety matters.
Now the question is – How can you improve awareness to safety?
3 thing you can do to the improve safety awareness of your workers:
- Training your workers: The training could be induction training, job specific training, toolbox talk, pre-task brief, etc. All these are avenues where information can be passed across, incident review is not left out. These all together can help improve awareness to safety.
- Employ experienced and qualified workers: Experienced gotten on the job is an invaluable asset, as it helps boost awareness to safety. What is seen and heard overtime often do form of good base for better performance.
- Maintain Concentration: Maintaining 100% concentration is also a factor in enhancing awareness to safety. Concentration can be achieved by:
- Minimizing the use of hand free devices while on duty
- Conscious effort to segregate between work issues and personal issues
- Avoid the use of illicit drugs
Read Also: What is process safety