Safety and Assurance Officer Serco Abu Dhabi
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and – most of all – deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Iraq. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009 and have launched the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2017. We deliver Facility Management services to Hospitals, Universities, Airports, Military Facilities and Commercial Estates in the UAE and large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia. We also deliver staff training and education to selected officers of the Qatar Armed Forces at the Officers’ training institute located at the Ahmed Bin Mohammed Military College in Doha.
Focussing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.
Safety & Assurance Officer – Success Profile
Reporting to: Contract Manager
Division / Function: IFS
Base location: Abu Dhabi
To support the Contract operational teams, and Portfolio Safety Assurance Manager in assuring Safety and Assurance compliance within the contract. To provide administration of Safety and Assurance management systems, programmes and initiatives in the contract, ensuring consultation and communication amongst employees and management.
Safety and Assurance Officers are expected to promote a positive health and safety culture within their contract.
Structure and reporting relationship
The Safety and Assurance Officer reports directly to the Contract Manager and is expected to form an effective working relationship with other key personnel, becoming part of the operational management team.
The Safety and Assurance Officer will functionally report to the Portfolio Safety Assurance Manager and forms part of the IFS and SME Safety Assurance community.
Based on the specific requirement of the role
- The Safety Assurance Officer will support the Safety Assurance Manager in general Safety Assurance administration.
- Assist in implementing the Serco Management System (SMS) and IFS Integrated Management System (IMS) including policies, procedures and processes.
- Make recommendations for improvement to the Management Systems to ensure compliance and document evidence of continual improvement supporting the ISO certifications for contracts where applicable.
- Identifying and communicating new or changing legal requirements, codes of practice and other reference materials required to be entered into the legal register to ensure legislative compliance.
- Assist in the development and delivery of the Divisional Safety and Assurance objectives and action plans and ensure understanding and delivery of these within the Contract. Report on progress regularly to the Portfolio and Sector management team
- Conduct regular safety inspections and tours to identify areas for improvement, provide written feedback on actions required by the business to improve compliance.
- Maintain records required by the SMS and IMS and report into Assure all safety assurance performance data such as accidents, near miss, environmental incidents to support the reporting requirements of the contract, portfolio and Division.
- Conduct investigations into unplanned events, identifying root cause and recommend actions to avoid reoccurrence.
- Ensure the management of contractors, including a permit to work system, review and comment on specialist service provider risk assessments, method statements to ensure safe operations by contractors.
- Ensure the contract risk register is established and regularly updated in the Risk Manager software.
- Ensure emergency response procedures are in place, understood and requirements, such as first aid supplies in place.
- Coordinate and participate in toolbox talks, safety briefs and health & safety meetings.
- Perform and carry out other duties as instructed by the Safety Assurance Manager or Contract Manager as required within the scope of the individuals’ competency and experience.
- Holder of a NEBOSH Certificate in occupational health and safety or similar OSH qualification
Essential technical, professional skills, knowledge and essential experiences
- Solid understanding of ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS18001 standards
- Personal integrity and personal values consistent with Serco’s governing principles.
- Sound computer and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Good command of English language
- Knowledge of FM working environments
Additional/special features of the role
• Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards
• Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy
• To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities
• Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment
• Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the speak up process.