Process Safety Engineer in Bessemer City, NC at Apex Life Sciences
Currently seeking an experienced Process Safety Engineer to join a growing team in the greater Charlotte, NC area. Please contact Lauren Pritts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-246-4743
Develop, implement, and maintain programs and procedures to minimize process safety risks and ensure compliance with regulatory and requirements.
- Own the site’s Process Safety Program and procedures.
- Lead Process Hazard Analysis (PHAs) for PSM covered and non-PSM areas.
- Coordinate the Management of Change program and lead Group Safety Reviews, MOC-initiated Hazard Analyses, as applicable.
- Participates, initiates, and in some cases, leads incident investigations (or near misses), identifies root causes and implements actions required to close them.
- Provide Regulatory interpretation guidance to the site regarding OSHA PSM and EPA RMP requirements. Communicate changes to site and others in business as needed.
- Assist the EHS Manager with Contractor Safety Program.
- Maintain the Process Hazard Level (PHL) database of site chemical processes.
- Lead the development effort for Emergency Operating Procedures (EOPs). Participate in emergency planning and response efforts.
- Support/train personnel (operations, engineers, etc.) on PSM requirements.
- Review/maintain employee participation efforts.
- Responsible to create and assure procedures are compliant with PSM requirements and communicate compliance. Any noncompliance issues are resolved and communicated
- Participates in internal and external audits against regulatory and corporate EHS criteria, particularly process safety, at subject site and others throughout corporation as requested.
- Coordinates development and then maintains status of any actions coming out of site audits.
Working in close alignment with the Technical Center
- Develop/maintain metrics for Process Safety and align with business as needed.
- Maintain the site PHA schedule
- PSM Gap Closure Plan site resource:
- Manage resolution/closure of approved corrective action plans,
- Coordinate Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) studies with Technical Center / Corporate Resources
- Capable of being certified to Lead Process Hazard Analysis (PHAs
Responsible Care Management Systems (RCMS)
- Understands, supports, participates, and strictly adheres to site standards, policies and procedures relevant to safety, industrial hygiene, security/CTPAT requirements and environmental.
- Audits conformance to safety standards.
- Promotes the belief that all jobs can be performed safely and that no job is worth doing that would risk the health, safety, or welfare of the plant employees or community.
- Provides input to the site’s annual Safety Plan and promotes to plant safety policies and procedures
- Careers Center | Process Safety Engineer
- Assist investigation teams, leads preliminary incident investigations, and selects appropriate corrective actions to improve safety and environmental performance in the area.
- Supports site Safety Committee
- Initiates incident investigations, investigates incidents or near misses, identifies root cause, report’s findings and implements action required to close SAR’s in the CIMS system.
Safety, Health and Environmental
- Advises plant/site personnel on the development and implementation of safety regulatory strategy, potential areas of regulatory concern, and new government/regulatory developments.
- Identifies needs, develops programs for, conducts and/or contracts assistance to conduct, and routinely reviews, safety training for all site personnel.
- Leads, participates in or ensures participation by qualified HSE representatives on all incident investigations involving health, safety or environmental issues.
- Lead and facilitate process hazard analysis and risk management activities.
- Manage the development, implementation and ongoing coordination of process safety reviews, management of change programs and incident investigations.
- Negotiates directly with safety and health regulatory authorities regarding company’s filings.
- Co-ordinates any external regulatory audits; performs and/or participates in internal audits against regulatory and corporate safety and health criteria at subject site and others throughout corporation as requested. Co-ordinates development of and then maintains status on any action items coming out of site audits.
- Develops, implements and reviews current Responsible Care policies and practices issued by Corporate and Federal and State regulatory agencies. Determines impacts of same on site policies and practices and recommends/implements changes to maintain or address compliance.
- Assembles information for and submits regulatory reports to meet all corporate, State and Federal requirements.
- Develops basis for and administers either directly or indirectly all budgets for safety and health activities.
- Supervisory Responsibility
- BS in Chemical Engineering preferred; Bachelor in Engineering acceptable.
- Certified PHA Facilitator not required but a strong plus
- 5+ years of experience in engineering, operations, and/or maintenance
- Careers Center | Process Safety Engineer
- with applied experience in process safety.
- Familiar with industry standards and recommended practices (API, NFPA, ASME, etc.).
- Knowledge in application and compliance requirements of regulatory codes (OSHA, EPA, etc.).
- Experience working in PSM covered process site. PSM Leadership responsibilities. Use of Root Cause Analysis methodologies required (Apollo Root Cause Methodology a strong plus).
- Computer proficient, skillful in the use of engineering software along with the MS Office products.
- Ability to plan, delegate, and organize tasks to consistently produce results, with minimal supervision—self-motivated.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear, travel up/down stairs, and on occasion navigates up/down ladder. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; extreme heat and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Safety Requirements: All employees are expected to carry out their work functions in a healthy and safe manner, to encourage and support safe work practices at all times, and to report and/or rectify any unsafe conditions that may come to their attention immediately.
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at email@example.com or 844-463-6178.