In this article, we will respond to the question “Is there an OSHA standard for ergonomic?”
From the question above, the answer is YES.
OSHA has developed industry specific guidelines to provide specific and helpful guidance for abatement to assist employees and employers in minimizing ergonomic injuries.
Even if there are no guidelines specific to your industry, as an employer you still have an obligation under the General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) to keep your workplace free from recognized serious hazards, including ergonomic hazards.
Here are existing ergonomic guidelines from OSHA & NIOSH
- Ergonomics Program Management Guidelines for Meatpacking Plants. OSHA Publication 3123, (1993).
- Beverage Distribution Hazard Alert Letter. OSHA, (August 18, 2011).
- Solutions for the Prevention of Musculoskeletal Injuries in Foundries. OSHA Publication 3465, (2012).
- Guidelines for Nursing Homes: Ergonomics for the Prevention of Musculoskeletal Disorders(PDF). OSHA Publication 3182, (2003, Revised March 2009).
- Guidelines for Shipyards: Ergonomics for the Prevention of Musculoskeletal Disorders(PDF). OSHA Publication 3341, (2008).
- Guidelines for Retail Grocery Stores: Ergonomics for the Prevention of Musculoskeletal Disorders(PDF). OSHA Publication 3192, (2004).
- Prevention of Musculoskeletal Injuries in Poultry Processing(EPUB | MOBI). OSHA Publication 3213, (2004, Revised 2013). Also available in Spanish (EPUB | MOBI).
- Evaluation of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Musculoskeletal Disorders at a Poultry Processing Plant. NIOSH Health Hazard Evaluation (HHE) Report 2014-0040-3232 (March 2015, Revised June 2015).
- High Prevalence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Poultry Plant Workers. NIOSH Science Blog, (April 6, 2015).
- Ergonomic Solutions for Retailers: Prevention of Material Handling Injuries in the Grocery Sector(PDF). DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2015-100, (October 2014).
- Ergonomic Guidelines for Manual Material Handling(PDF). DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2007-131, (2007).
- A Guide to Selecting Non-Powered Hand Tools(PDF). DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 2004-164, (2004). Also available in Spanish (PDF).
- Elements of Ergonomics Programs: A Primer Based on Workplace Evaluations of Musculoskeletal Disorders(PDF). Publication No. 97-117, (March 1997).
I believe the question “Is there an OSHA standard for ergonomic” have been answered.
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.