Office safety is a very important aspect of safety.
It is a general believe that the office is a safe heaven. I won’t say the office is not a safe heaven; I will say “An office is what you make it to be”.
Due to the importance of safety in the office, this topic “Office Safety” is very relevant to everyone working in the office.
This article will highlight the major hazards we could face in the office and also give important safety tips to ensure our safety in the office.
Here are some hazards/risk associated with working in the office:
- Poor workstation design
- Slip, Trip and Fall
- Poor housekeeping
- Display Screen Equipment (DSE), etc.
- Radiation – From photocopiers.
21 Important Office Safety Tips
Here are some things you should do to ensure your safety in the office. I will group these tips based on the hazards/risks I highlighted earlier.
Poor work station design
1. Arrange your workstation in a manner that there will be no need for overreaching; keep everything within reach to avoid musculoskeletal disorders.
2. Your table size and height should be harmonized with your seat.
3. Adjust your seat to ensure comfort.
4. Get a seat that will provide good lumbar support, hand rest and foot rest.
Slip, Trip and Fall/Housekeeping
5. Avoid running cable leads on the floor
6. Clean up every spill
7. Place a warning sign where necessary during cleaning or maintenance.
8. Remove faulty seats and replace them.
9. Use safe shoe with good floor grip.
10. Do not litter the office with waste.
11. Arrange equipment and materials in an orderly manner
12. Put faulty and damaged cables out of use.
13. Never improvise with electrical equipment.
14. Never overload electrical extensions/socket.
15. Ensure that fire extinguishers are installed and kept in a workable condition.
16. Occupants of an office should be trained on the use of fire extinguishers in case need arises.
Display Screen Equipment (DSE)
17. Adopt safety measures on the use of DSE
18. Take your eyes off the DSE intermittently to relax the eyes.
19. If need be, use a screen guard or safety glasses.
20. Stay a safe distance from the DSE as much as possible.
21. Make sure you close the photocopier top cover while photocopying your document to block exposure to laser radiation.
Read Also: 5 Proven Ways to Ensure Workplace Safety
From this article, I believe you have understood the risks/hazards you could face while working in the office.
Adopt the safety measures highlighted here to stay safe and also make your office a safe heaven.
I believe this article is beneficial to you; do well to share it on your social network.
For questions and contributions, contact us via our contact page or comment box.