Objectives Of Food Safety And Standards Act 2006 – Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 is an integrated food law that lays down standards and guidelines for consumer safety, protection of consumer health and regulation of the food sector. It seeks to harmonize Indian standards with the international standards like CODEX and facilitates international trade in food articles. The Act lays down general provisions for food additives and processing of articles as well.
It is a comprehensive legislation for the sector and subsumes the then existing acts and standards like Prevention of Food Adulteration Act (PFA) of 1954 ,Fruit Products Order of 1955, Meat Food Products Order of 1973, Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order of 1947, Edible Oils Packaging (Regulation)Order of 1988, Solvent Extracted Oil, De- Oiled Meal and Edible Flour (Control) Order of 1967, Milk and Milk Products Order of 1992 and also any order issued under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 relating to food.
General objectives of the food safety and standards act
- To ensure that food is safe and is handled safely, as well as to ensure the health-related quality of food and that its quality in other respects accords with the food regulations.
- To ensure that information given about food is truthful, sufficient and not misleading.
- To protect the consumer from health hazards and financial losses caused by foods that violates the food regulations.
- To ensure the traceability of food.
- To secure a high-quality system of food control.
- To help improve the operating conditions for food business operators.
Specific objectives of the food safety and standards act
- The objective of the food law is to make available safe, pure, wholesome and nutritious food to the public.
- The act is significant in ensuring quality food to the consumer.
- It protects consumer interest by prohibiting misleading advertisement and penalizing adulteration
- The Act seeks to enhance quality of food related information to consumers and also by setting standards which, when effectively enforced by Commissioners in the States would result in increased consumer welfare.
- The act addresses contemporary challenges facing the sector like provisions related to Genetically Modified (GM) crops, functional food, international trade in food items etc. Besides, it is a single reference point for food related matters.
- To acts as a single window to provide guidance and issue clarifications/advisories for all matters related to food safety
HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.