Migration from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001
With the approval and imminent publishing of the ISO 45001 occupational Health and Safety standard, there are concerns about the process of transition as to how it will affect Health and Safety professionals and organizations already certified with OHSAS 18001.
Here are the major concerns:
- Will there be automatic retrieval of the OHSAS 18001 standard or will a time frame be given until it is formally phased out.
- Professional and organization already certified with OHSAS 18001; will there be a review course to upgrade to ISO 45001 or will they need to enroll for the ISO 45001 standard course afresh?
- Will recruiters immediately swap to ISO 45001 standard for job requirement or will they accept the two together pending when it will be legally phased out?
These are legitimate concerns. Though am not in the standard development and approval committee where decisions are made, i am optimistic that the interest of everyone will be protected.
Also there will be proper guide on the migration process, a time frame will be given to ensure smooth migration and recruiters will be considerate.
Reasons for my opinion: ISO 45001 is not a fresh occupational Health and Safety standard, it is just an upgrade of OHSAS 18001; filling the gaps of OHSAS 18001.
Hence, as professionals and organizations already certified with OHSAS 18001, lets just wait patiently for the ISO 45001 standard which is expected to be published on 8th March, 2018. There will be a plan for Migration from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001.
Moreover, some organizations has already packaged a migration structure which will help in the migration from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001:
Suggestions has also been given on how to upgrade.
Migration from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001 for Organizations
- Obtain a copy of ISO 45001 (or a copy of the earlier DIS if early planning and adoption is preferred)
- Identify the gaps in the OHSMS which need to be addressed to meet any new requirements.
- Develop an implementation plan.
- Ensure that any new competency needs are met and create awareness for all parties that have an impact on the effectiveness of the OHSMS.
- Update the existing OHSMS to meet the new requirements and provide verification of its effectiveness.
- Liaise with their certification body for migration arrangements including any training needs and gap analysis.