MEWP accidents are mostly caused by three (3) factors:
- Gross incompetence due to lack of training and experience
- Adoption of unsafe working at height procedures
- Mechanical fault from the equipment
All MEWP (Mobile Elevated Work Platform) accidents, as all other accidents are over 90% preventable.
Major MEWP hazards as mentioned in my article on MEWP Safety are:
- Entrapment: Operator being trapped between part of the basket and a fixed structure.
- Overturning: The machine may overturn throwing the operator from the basket;
- Falling: An operator may fall from the basket during work activities.
- Collision: The machine may collide with pedestrians, overhead cables or nearby vehicles.
If the root cause of all accidents are tackled, most of the accidents will be prevented subsequently.
Here are some MEWP accidents videos
- Cherry Picker Accidents
- Video 2
- Video 3
- Importance of body harness in MEWP
- Mobile elevated platform accidents prevention video
Contact us for questions and contributions.
DO WELL TO SHARE THIS ARTICLE