Machine safety is an important aspect which everyone using machines should understand. Machines are mechanized system which help make work easier and faster. It can help improve production efficiency in the workplace.
In as much as it is has a very important role to play in our jobs, it has its own inherent risks that must be identified an manage to ensure safety when using the machines.
Some of the part of the machines that could pose risk to the user are:
- Their moving parts
- Sharp edges
- Hot surfaces
- Their movement
- Power source, this could be electrical, pressure or gasoline fuel.
These machine if not properly used and maintained can cause serious workplace injuries such as crushed fingers or hands, amputations, burns, blindness, electric shock/electrocution, MSD’s (Musculoskeletal Disorders), etc.
Read Also: 5 Proven Ways to Ensure Workplace Safety
Therefore, safeguard (Machine safety precautions) are essential to protect workers from injury.
NOTE: Any machine part, function, or process that might cause injury should be safeguarded.
Lets now consider eleven (11) important machine safety tips
Machine safety tips
- Ensure proper guarding on the machines, like your table saw, cut off saw, cutting machine, circular saw, etc. Any machine part, function, or process that might cause injury should be safeguarded. The guard protects employees from dangers such as rotating parts, flying chips and sparks.
- Use machinery only when certified: If your are not trained and certified to use a particular machine, please do not use it. By using a machine as an un-trained operator, you are endangering yourself and other workers working close by you.
- Use safe clothing: Especially when working with a rotating wheel, wearing loose fitted clothing could be very risky because your cloth can be trapped by the machine, drawing you in.
- Avoid using long and loosed hairs, it could also be trapped.
- Use relevant PPE when working with any machinery. For example, you need your hand gloves when using a jumping jack. The hand gloves can help you to avoid developing vibration white finger (VWF); also you will need your ear muff when using a cut off saw. Always use relevant PPE
- Never leave the machine un-attended, if you do, you are creating an opportunity for un-authorized use of the machine.
- Avoid using jewelry around machines.
- Never interfere with moving or operating equipment: Use of machines needs high level of concentration, any form of distraction should be avoided as much as possible.
- Ensure timely inspection of all machinery before, during and after use.
- Never attempt to alter the machine to carry out a particular function if they were not designed for such.
- Never manage faulty machinery. Report all faulty machinery to the responsible person for further action to be taken.
Obey and adopt all other safety precautions associated with the machine you are working with. This could be your live saver.
Remember, one of the 10 commandment of safety is “Respect Machinery“. You can respect machinery by adopting safe use precaution and obeying the safety rules attached to the machines.
For questions and contribution, you can contact us via our contact page or comment box.
PLEASE SHARE THIS ARTICLE