HSE Specialist Gates Corporation (Contract) Ontario
Location: Windsor, ON
Job Type: Temp
Contract position – Present to end October 2018
Gates Corporation is a leading manufacturer of application-specific fluid power and power transmission solutions. At Gates, we are driven to push the boundaries of materials science to engineer products that continually exceed expectations.
We don’t rest on our rich heritage of innovation. We leverage it to inspire solutions that will power the next hundred years. We invest continually in R&D and technology, so our products not only outperform industry standards; they exceed our customers’ demanding expectations. We invest in our people, bringing real-world experience that enables us to solve our customers’ diverse challenges of today and anticipate those of tomorrow. And we are constantly expanding our product catalog and value-added service offerings to support every facet of our customers’ operations. In the most extreme environments and those more familiar, Gates is there with the right product, in the right place at the right time. Whether building original equipment or maintaining products in the aftermarket, we enable companies in every industry to be more efficient, productive, and profitable. We are Gates.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support and assist accident and incident analysis
- Manage WSIB claims and early and safe return to work programs
- Conduct Site HSE Inspections
- Facilitate and/or conduct required HSE training
- Maintain ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 management systems
- Evaluate practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence with corporate, local, provincial, federal rules and regulations.
- Facilitates risk assessment at the location to identify critical HSE hazards and aspects.
- Determines appropriate leading and lagging indicators to track performance against targets and objectives.
- Supports creation of HSE goals for the site manager and appropriate activity based goals for the leadership team, functional managers, and front-line supervisors to drive HSE culture, compliance, and results
- Creates and facilitates EHS engagement through EHS teams and committees needed to accomplish the established targets and objectives for the year.
- Uses established HSE data processes such as Velocity EHS to manage data such as injuries and illnesses, environmental metrics, action items and other pertinent information.
- Work with site leadership team to ensure that all key HSE operational controls are in place and that HSE action items are resolved on a timely basis
- Lead safety meetings and new worker safety orientation training
- Monitor and support the efficient operation of the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Act as a Health and Safety representative where required in all areas including being the main point of contact for Ministry of Labour and Ministry of the Environment inspectors
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience
- Strong knowledge of risk management principles or other OHS related training.
- Able to implement and manage return to work initiatives.
- Experience working on WSIB files
- Joint Health and Safety Committee Certification
- Knowledge and practical application experience the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations and Guidelines. Experience with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is also an asset
- ISO and OHSAS internal auditor training is an asset
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.