HSE Principal (Projects) BHP Australia
Location: South Australia
Work type: Fixed Term
Job category: Health, Safety & Environment
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success. Join Olympic Dam a safe, reliable, and globally competitive business delivered by our people. At Olympic Dam we care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. We believe Leadership drive culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play. To support mining activities, BHP has a large pipeline of growth activities planned at Olympic Dam and within Minerals Australia Projects. This is a 2 Year Fixed Term Contract based at Olympic Dam with FIFO from Adelaide or residential options available.
About the role
You will provide leadership, direction and expert advice to Olympic Dam Asset Projects on all health, safety, and environmental matters throughout project definition and execution phases. Our asset projects range between $20M to $250M with the role supporting delivery of process plant, infrastructure and demolition activities. This will include supporting analysis of health & safety performance data to identify improvement opportunities, management of HSE related studies/reviews, and supporting project managers in the execution of asset level projects with focus. In this role you will:
- Give HSE input to the design and establishment of HSE standards, procedures and systems for Asset Projects within the Minerals Australia Projects Framework and Internal Standard.
- Coach Field Leadership activities, offer support and technical guidance to build a safety leadership culture and enhance understanding of compliance relevant to company and legal requirements.
- Coach line management on the quality and effectiveness of HSE risk assessments, event investigations and corrective actions.
- Manage HSE Systems and data quality related to asset projects. Undertaking analytics activities for HSE data including benchmarking, developing key performance metrics and insight development.
- Support line management in building an understanding of, and compliance with, relevant HSE Our Requirements (GLD) and legal requirements.
- Provide leadership, support and technical guidance to Operations and Project teams.
- Develop and deliver HSE content for upskilling of project owner’s teams and contractor personnel.
- Facilitate the communication between workgroups to ensure consistency in HSE systems, processes, procedures and goals.
- Manage, control, monitor and participate in the execution of work that is the accountability of the HSE Function.
- Review and monitor contractor HSE performance and delivery to the project HSEC Management Plan.
- Tertiary degree in relevant field (e.g. engineering, science, risk, other)
- Typically minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience (Minerals Processing/Industrial Construction/Oil and Gas).
- Demonstrated ability to reliably deliver team results and meet deadlines.
- Leading change initiatives under difficult circumstances.
- Ability to engage and work effectively with both internal and external stakeholders. Influence diverse teams.
- Strong acumen for HSE data analytics and business intelligence platforms.
- Understanding of South Australian H&S legislation.
- Working knowledge of regulatory HSE policies and procedures and their implementation in the mining and processing sector.
- Experience in managing contractors and deliverables to a schedule and budget.
- Strong understanding of databases and database processes with the ability to identify opportunities to automate HSE processes and reporting