Health & Safety Manager Hollingsworth & Vose – United States
Location: WEST GROTON, MA, USA
The Health and Safety Manager will plan, direct, and implement health and safety programs and policies for the West Groton Mill. This person will be responsible for the health and safety of the mill in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local Government regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures the health and safety of all employees, visitors and contractors through the adherence to all applicable standards, policies, and procedures.
- Develop plans, programs, and implement safety policies and procedures in compliance with all governmental safety and health rules and regulations.
- Plans and implements programs to train managers, supervisors, and employees in work site safety practices, loss prevention, ergonomics, and correct handling techniques for chemicals, toxins, equipment, and other materials.
- Prepares studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies. Assist supervisors in accident investigation and direct analysis of accident data to develop procedures or controls to prevent recurrence. Institute JSA into work practice.
- Responsible for all reporting of safety requirements for internal and external sources. Ensure compliance with all government agencies..
- Provides oversight and Health and Safety support for the East Walpole mill
- Develop and administer the plant emergency procedures and first aid, including planned drills. Maintain relationship with local town, county, and/or city emergency response departments.
- Inspect facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards; determine corrective or preventative measures where indicated; and follow up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Direct and conduct sampling and studies (air, noise, ergonomics, etc.) to identify health and safety hazards to employees. Analyze results to recommend corrective measures via engineering and/or administrative controls as appropriate.
- In conjunction with appropriate production, engineering and maintenance staff, review and approve all process, plant and equipment plans and revisions thereof for risk assessment and evaluation of the effectiveness of same regarding safe working environment.
- Partners with plant, regional and corporate resources to implement proactive solutions to minimize at risk conditions and at risk behaviors.
- Interacts with and provides visible leadership to all employees, particularly those on the plant floor to drive safety awareness, engagement and improvement.
- Improves safety by continuously increasing a level of awareness and improving safety systems in an effort to eliminate accidents and injuries. Leads and maintains plant safety direction in accordance with the Hollingsworth & Vose Operating Systems (HVOS).
- Completes inspections and audits to detect and eliminate unsafe practices and conditions.
- Facilitates the monthly plant safety meetings, safety walkarounds, and assists supervisors with monthly crew safety meetings.
- Collects and analyzes injury data to identify trends and recommend improvements.
- Maintains the Plant MSDS records.
- Provides 24/7 availability to plant, as required.
- Supervise HSE staff direct reports. Set objectives, assess performance and manage development plans.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health or chemical, environmental, or civil engineering or other related field
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years relevant experience
- Union experience preferred
- Experience with EHS Management Systems (ISO 14001, 18000, OSHA VPP)
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Normal office environment most of the time but will require working in and around the operating floors so all the typical restrictions that would apply to our production personnel would apply.
- Person must be able to hear with ear plugs, see well enough with safety glasses to work in a production environment, walk and stand on concrete floors for a considerable period of time, climb stairs and work with a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Regular travel to mills expected (~25%).
The position is based in West Groton, MA and will deliver a competitive compensation package.
Please send an updated copy of your curriculum vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org