Environmental Inspector wood process & Energy US
- Requisition ID: 2017-16922
- Position Type: Fixed Term
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Process & Energy is currently seeking an Environmental Inspector to join our team in St James, LA. This position will work as part of the Environmental Unit to implement the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) on the YCI construction project.
- Support the Construction Team in successful completion of large linear construction project, while maintaining complete compliance with all applicable environmental laws and standards; environmental permits, licenses and approvals; environmental contractual obligations; Environmental Plans; Environmental Policy and best management practices requirements.
- Conduct site inspections, behavior-based observations; environmental incident reporting; training and alerting the team of any environmental issues to effect timely implementation of environmental protection and mitigation.
- Demonstrate leadership in the implementation of the EMP containing the Environmental Operating Procedures; design specifications, including erosion and sediment controls, including adaptive management of surface water control, stormwater management and waste management; and discipline specific environmental plans.
- Demonstrate leadership in conducting or assisting with the monitoring of environmental aspects, including wildlife; Species at Risk; migratory birds; fish and fish habitat; discharge water quantity and quality; excavated materials management; impacted materials; waste management; erosion and sediment control; dust control; spills prevention and spills response; archaeological discoveries; protection of cultural heritage resources; and Sustainability Plan objectives (TGS and LEED).
- Perform field inspections, surveys, sampling and walk downs of environment related activities to assure field activities, conditions and outcomes correspond with the requirements of all applicable environmental laws and standards, environmental contractual obligations, Environmental Management Plans, Environmental Policy and best management practices.
- Coordinate sample collections, pickups, supplies and forwarding of chain-of-custody to laboratories and the EMT.
- Advise project team members in support of environmental quality standards, objectives, guidelines, policies, procedures and legislation.
- Monitor and inspect construction activities on a daily basis for compliance with environmental obligations; maintain a log of monitoring and inspection events; complete a daily monitoring and inspection report and provide to the Environmental Manager; and provide advice and recommendations for improving environmental protection and correcting any inefficient practices and/or issues of non-compliance.
- Identify issues and concerns for corrective and preventative actions and record details in corrective and preventative action reports. Be prepared to issue stop work instructions to construction subcontractors where construction activities constitute or have the potential to result in non-compliance with applicable environmental laws.
- Identify opportunities for continual improvement within the context of project execution; work with Environmental Management Team to develop and implement proactive strategies.
- Provide Environmental Awareness and Orientation Training through on-site orientation, toolbox talks and procedure roll-outs and advise project ream members in support of environmental quality standards, objectives, guidelines, policies, procedures and legislation.
- Update and maintain tracking database for spills; water sampling; waste, including any impacted, hazardous, non-hazardous, liquid industrial; subject waste and separated waste for recycling, reduce, reuse and recover; noise and vibration; erosion and sediment control; excess materials handling for reuse and off-site disposal.
- Liaise with the Environmental Manager, Construction Team, subcontractors and 3rd parties, as required.
- Attend meetings, as required, with the Environmental Unit and Construction Team.
- Actively support and participate in the Health and Safety and Quality programs on the project.
Skills / Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree specializing in environmental science/management, or diploma specializing in environmental technology/engineering
- 10 years’ experience in construction and environment-related field
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Thorough understanding of the scope of infrastructure projects
- Knowledge of project management processes
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Systematic and structured problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and as part of a larger team