It is important that we understand how to drive safe under the rain or in wet situation.
Rain is a natural phenomenon that comes at its season, or any other time.
It is a good occurrence, but not without safety issues attached with it.
What we are to consider here is how rain affects driver’s safety and how to drive safely, either when rain is falling or after the rain might have subsided but the ground is still wet.
Rainfall pose certain hazards to drivers, these hazards include:
- Slippery road surface
- Blurred vision
- Overflowed drainages
These are the three (3) main hazards of rain fall.
Let us now state how these hazards affects the driver’s safety:
- Slippery road surface: The point where the vehicle connects with the road surface is through the tyres. The friction that exist between the tyre and the road surface is what gives the vehicle a firm grip on the road, and it also helps the brake system of the vehicle to bring the vehicle to an halt when the brake is applied. During rain fall or in while the road surface is still wet, the friction between the vehicle tyres and the road surface will be reduced. This will reduce the ability of the vehicle to come to a halt when brake is applied, which could cause accident.
- Blurred vision: Active rain fall reduces vision. This reduce vision is a risk factor which could result to accident.
- Overflowed drainage: During rainy season most drainage will overflow, so the tendency of a vehicle falling into drainage is increased.
To drive safe under the rain or on wet road surface, follow this safety guide:
- Maintain safe speed during rain or while driving on wet road since the brake system function will be reduced by the wet surface.
- Ensure that you do not get too close to the side of the road during rain, since you may not identify overflowed drainages; i.e, do not go too close to the edge of the road.
- Use windscreen defroster to clear your windscreen. Also make sure that your windscreen wiper is in good condition.
- If the rain is too heavy and preventing good vision, it is advised that you park the vehicle at a safe location pending when you can see well to continue the journey.
- Use your fog light to increase your visibility to upcoming vehicles during rainfall.