Do not leave electric gadgets on when making calls in the kitchen – Fire Expert Warns

0
120
Do not leave electric gadgets on when making calls in the kitchen – Fire Expert Warns
300x250

A leading Firefighter with the Oyo State Fire Service, Mr Sunday Akanji on Sunday  urged people to ensure they switched off electric gadgets in their houses before going out to avoid fire outbreaks which will definitely result to loss of life and property.

He gave this advice at an interactive programme organised by the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Mount Cathedral, Bolumole, in Ibadan.

He said part of the causes of fireoutbreaks were  from electricity gadgets, gas and some other sensitive materials in homes. He warned against smoking, receiving calls at fueling stations as well as overloading of sockets with many electric gadgets, switches, stressing that it could be dangerous when there was a high voltage.

Large Rectangular

In his words, he said;

The major causes of fire outbreaks are carelessness and ignorance, we should always be sensitive to our environment, check switches, never leave your irons and gadgets plugged on and go out.

“It’s advisable to put a smoke detector in your house that will detect smokes and alert people when there is danger.

“Also ensure to have a place in your house that your burglary can still open, don’t have a tight burglary fix.

“Fire outbreak spreads faster on houses built with POP, PVC because they contain high-density petroleum which can trigger the burning.

 

Mr Akanji went further to talk about fire extinguishing methods. According to him, there are extinguishing methods of preventing fire outbreak such as cooling, starvation and smothering.

Starvation he says is when the fire occurs and one doesn’t allow it to go out of the place while smothering is denying oxygen from entering into the place of fire incident thereby limiting the fire from spreading further.

Akanji said he was going around Oyo state, especially schools to sensitize people and children on the issues of fire outbreaks and its prevention.

He added that the sensitisation was borne out of his passion and personal concept to assist the Oyo state fire service in reducing incessant fire menace in the society by reaching out to many people in 2020.

If we all can be aware of the causes of these outbreaks, take these preventive measures and be more careful in our homes, offices, schools, among others, the occurrence of fire outbreaks will certainly reduce to the barest minimum,” he said.

Also speaking, the Zonal Pastor of the church, David Olubunmi, said that the fire outbreak was one of the prophecies of the year 2020.

“In order to avoid this menace, our father in the lord, Pastor Adeboye urged the church to pray so that God will have mercy on our land.

“The bible also says that we should watch and as well pray, so what we are doing today is one of the ways of watching and taking precautions to avoid the disaster of fire even as we pray,” he said.

 

 

 

HSEWatch is an all-encompassing Health and Safety platform. Always visit HSEWatch for Insightful HSE articles, HSE Jobs, HSE Training opportunities and HSE News.
If you have any question as related to health and Safety, feel free to ask us, we will guide you as much as possible.
You can also advertise your Health and Safety related products and services here on HSEWatch, contact us today on – Ubongeh4life@gmail.com
We are waiting to be of service to you.

Please follow and like us:
970x250

Leave a Reply