There has been some misconceptions about the correct way to use the surgical mask, in this brief article I will highlight how to use the surgical mask properly.
Here is a common misconception about using the surgical mask
- Both sides can be used
- Let the coloured side face front if you are infected to warn others; I.e You do not want to transmit.
- Let the white side face front if you are health; I.e – You are using it for self protection againt infection.
Steps on the correct use of the surgical mask
- Before putting on the mask, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or rub your hands together thoroughly with alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Check for defects in the face mask, such as tears or broken loops.
Position the colored side of the mask outward.
- If present, make sure the metallic strip is at the top of the mask and positioned against the bridge of your nose.
- If the mask has:
Ear loops: Hold the mask by both ear loops and place one loop over each ear.
– Ties: Hold the mask by the upper strings. Tie the upper strings in a secure bow near the crown of your head. Tie the bottom strings securely in a bow near the nape of your neck.
– Dual elastic bands: Pull the top band over your head and position it against the crown of your head. Pull the bottom band over your head and position it against the nape of your neck.
- Mold the bendable metallic upper strip to the shape of your nose by pinching and pressing down on it with your fingers.
- Pull the bottom of the mask over your mouth and chin.
- Be sure the mask fits snugly.
- Don’t touch the mask once in position.
- If the mask gets soiled or damp, replace it with a new one.
Follow the steps below to ensure that your surgical mask serves you well.
Aside from the the use of the face mask, follow other CDC COVID-19 preventive measures:
- Maintain social distance
- Wash you hand regularly with running water and soap for at least 20 seconds
- Clean frequently used surfaces &
- Stay at home if you are sick – Contact your country’s emergency numbers.
STAY SAFE/STAY PROTECTED