Area Safety Manager ACCO Engineered Systems Glendale – United States
Location: Glendale, CA
We’re looking for an Area Safety Manager to join our team!
The Area Safety Manager ensures that the Company complies with all applicable federal, state, and local Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) regulations. Under the direction of the Regional Safety Director, this position is responsible for development, implementation and auditing of safety policy across a wide spectrum of levels. This individual will directly interact with field employees, Company Management and customers. The Area Safety Manager will provide oversight management of all HSE activities in their area, provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring to all Site Safety personnel, provide all levels of the area management team with the services and technical advice needed for the proper administration of the Company’s HSE and Injury/Illness Prevention Programs. This includes supporting the company’s established network for the communication of HSE matters, managing HSE programs at jobsites, supporting other Area Safety Managers and developing and maintaining a strong HSE culture within the area.
SO WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, communications, training and systems to ensure the project maintains an injury-free environment.
- Coach / Mentor employees and management in safe practices and regulations.
- Assist in preparation of Job Hazard Analysis and Site Safety Plans.
- Assist in creating a safe workplace without risk to health.
- Ensure adequate provision of first-aid and welfare facilities and support.
- Proper and timely assessments of risks to health and safety. Implement measures and arrangements identified as necessary based on completed assessments.
- Assist in the proper selection of safety related equipment such as safety signs, relevant personal protective clothing and equipment.
- Liaison with other organizations and relevant authorities by providing assistance and cooperation concerning audits and remedial actions.
- Develop and implement strategies to control exposure to hazardous substances and danger from flammable, explosive, electrical, noise, radiation and manual handling risks.
- Perform safety audits/inspections and report on health and safety practices and systems.
- Review, Prepare and distribute audit reports and incident reports.
- Train employees in areas such as:
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
- Fall Protection
- Hot Work Procedures
- Hazard Communication
- Control of Hazardous Energies
- Confined Space Entry
- Oversee subcontractors and vendors’ HSE planning, performance, and compliance during their work, ensuring that they clearly know and understand what is expected in the areas of HSE.
- Ensure that unsafe acts and conditions are corrected in a timely manner.
- Provide technical expertise during incident investigations.
- Personally investigate serious incidents.
- Maintain close communications and working relationship with the site project managers, and all other team members associated with the work.
- Ensure that appropriate corrective actions are taken to eliminate hazards.
- Develop and implement procedures to eliminate hazards and situations as those discovered through lessons learned and investigations from prior incidents.
- Recommend corrective actions and/or disciplinary procedures for violations of HSE rules, procedures.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with Project Managers to drive positive change.
- Promote and cultivate a safety culture within all levels of management, front line supervisors, and employees.
- Devise and implement new and innovative approaches to safety with the result of keeping a safe working environment in the forefront of Company culture.
- Establish strategies, systems and controls to ensure compliance with HSE policies and procedures throughout the area.
- Ensure appropriate management of work related injuries and proper care for injured employees.
- Work closely with Workers’ Compensation claims administrator to ensure all proper documentation is acquired in a timely manner.
- Formulate, recommend, and administer approved changes to the Company’s Injury and Illness Prevention Program, SOPs, and other HSE initiatives.
- Other duties may be assigned by management.
Routine Duties and Responsibilities
- Shall ensure that all ACCO employees comply with all of ACCO’s, General Contractor and OSHA safety policies, procedures and standards.
- Shall conduct at least one comprehensive site inspect of the whole project for safety compliance. Ensure copies are distributed to the customer.
- Shall notify the customer immediately of non-compliance safety hazards verbally and in writing.
- Shall insure chemical storage and material waste disposal, are followed within ACCO policies and procedures.
- Shall assist foremen in completing PTP (pre-task plans) for their crew’s safe operations. With copies distributed to the customer as required.
- Shall ensure all project have adequate supplies of personal protective equipment for employees.
- Shall ensure foremen are monitoring daily inspection for motor vehicles and mechanized equipment.
- Shall assist foremen in inspection of tools, materials and supplies.
- Shall assist project management with the project’s policies and procedures as they relate to safety and environmental issues such SWPPPS Programs and hazardous materials.
1. Shall insure weekly tailgate meetings and weekly safety inspections are being completed and that foremen turn in all appropriate paperwork. Ensure foremen distributed copies to the general contractor.
2. Attend weekly coordination meeting with Regional Safety Director.
3. Submit site inspections, training records and other safety documentation to the Regional Safety Director.
1. Shall inspect fire extinguisher monthly and documented appropriately.
2. Shall assist foremen and crews in monthly inspections of Harness/Lanyard/Rigging and document findings.
3. Shall perform at least once every six months an all hands crisis management drill (emergency evacuation drills).
1. Assist foremen in the safety and health orientation process for all new employees.
2. Schedule, conduct and document additional safety meetings due to unsafe acts or conditions on site.
3. Shall assist foremen in completing PTP (pre-task plans) for high hazard activities, (crane lifts, trenching, confine space entries, etc.) Ensure foremen distribute copies to the general contractor.
4. Shall perform, assist, arrange and document employees training in scissor lift, fork lift, grade-all, boom lift, powder actuated tools, hazard communication, heat stress awareness, personal protection equipment, fall protection, scaffolding usage and procedures, ladders usage and procedures, CPR/first Aid and Blood borne pathogens. Ensure copies of training are distributed to the customer as required.
5. Shall assist foremen in updating site’s MSDS book with new chemicals brought on to site. Ensure new MSDS’s are distributed to the customer.
6. Shall investigate independently all near misses, injuries and mobile equipment accidents on site and submit a report to the Regional Safety Director.
7. Shall assist foremen in writing all reports of near misses, injuries and mobile equipment accidents on site. Ensure copies of reports are distributed to general contractor.
8. Shall report all near misses, injuries and property damage incidents within 8 hours of incident to ACCO Corporate Office. This must also include an initial report of incident. Ensure reporting and copies of incident are distributed to the customer within their required time frame.
9. Ensure all required Federal, State and ACCO posting are in place on job site along with Site Medical Plan, Heat Illness Plan, Evacuation Plan and all other posting required by law.
10. Shall assist site safety coordinators when requested.
11. Shall assume role of site safety coordinator when site safety coordinator is on vacation or sick from their assigned projects as required.
Position Requirements (Skills, Work Experience, Education, Certifications, Licenses, etc.):
1) Minimum 5 Years of progressive experience in Construction Safety
2) Knowledge of safety regulations including Title 8, OSHA 1926
3) 30 hour OSHA instructor qualified and/or EM385 course work preferred
4) Competencies in fall protection, excavation, and rigging
5) Bachelor’s degree preferred
6) Professional safety accreditation preferred
7) Active membership and participation in HSE professional associations required
8) Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite of software (Word / Excel) required
Competencies Needed (Examples – Adaptability/Flexibility, Customer Service, Work Management, Effective Communication, Technical Knowledge, Business Acumen….):
3) Effective Communication
4) Technical Knowledge
5) Business Acumen
6) Independently motivated Worker
7) Be a good leader, coach, and mentor to others
8) Have excellent people skills and be a good listener
9) Be a good facilitator
10) Be a good negotiator
11) Have good organizational skills
12) Able to multi-task
13) Able to work in a team environment to accomplish established goals
14) Possess strong interpersonal skills, able to convey trust and respect in day-to-day activities as well as in more formal meeting settings;
15) Excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written);
16) Must have valid driver’s license in accordance with Auto Use Policy
Physical Requirements (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- The employee may regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision and Distance vision.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is regularly required to walk and sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl (for purposes of filling photocopier/printers).
Our ideal person will have all these in addition to everything listed above:
- OUTSTANDING COMMUNICATION SKILLS in addition to maintaining an open line of communication with employees throughout the organization, you’ll demonstrate excellent communication skills, including good phone and email etiquette.
- APPRECIATION FOR DIVERSITY you already demonstrate respect and you highly value the variety of cultures and talents that make up ACCO.
- INNOVATION although we have a great team and effective processes in place, we feel that there is always room for improvement, and we’ll look to you to be creative as you partner with stakeholders to evaluate our operations, solve ongoing issues, and develop even better systems.
- STRONG APTITUDE for learning and developing new systems and programs.
- GOING THE EXTRA MILE ability to work overtime, as needed.
- WORK MANAGEMENT possess the ability to work in a high paced environment with the ability to prioritize tasks.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- ESOP – Employee Stock Ownership Program. An exciting benefit from ACCO to you, free of cost.
- Company Culture of Excellence – Here at ACCO, we are flexible and foster creativity
- Competitive Time Off including PTO, Sick Time, and Personal Time
- Education Reimbursement Program for career development
- United Way is our philanthropy program. We give back to the community, and we have fun while doing it! ACCO has fundraising events such as raffles and bingo throughout the year.
- Competitive medical, dental, 401k