20 Top Construction Accidents
Construction Accidents are accidents occurring in our various construction sites or during construction activities.
I will highlight the 20 Top Construction Accidents.
The aim of this article is to educate us on Construction accidents, stressing the need for safety when carrying out construction activities.
Research have proven that the construction industry is one of the most hazardous industry which records high incidents rate every year. Hence it is needful that we have an understanding of what could go wrong when carrying out construction activity; this will help raise our safety consciousness when carrying out construction activity.
Without going into much stories, let me highlight the “20 Top Construction Accidents”.
- An employee tripped and fell from running cable leads resulting to broken limbs. The cable lead was not well-arranged.
- A worker knocked down and crushed by a reversing forklift machine. The forklift reverse alarm was spoilt and was not repaired.
- An employee had a broken neck when an unsecured load falling from height landed on his head. He was working within the tower crane swing radius.
- An iron binding wire jump into a workers eye while carrying out iron fitting activity. He did not wear his eye goggle.
- A worker slipped from a slippery surface and dislocated his shoulder. The slippery surface was ignored.
- A tyre roller operator knock down an asphalt supervisor while reversing as the supervisor was answering call at his blind spot.
- A Forman was thrown out from a floor board when a monkey jack used to jack down the floor board failed. He had not anchored in body harness.
- A worker broke his upper limb while operating a mobile elevated platform machine. The machine malfunctioned and jerked unto a roof truss while there where fixing the roof trusses. Previous malfunction was documented but nothing was done about it.
- A worker had a deep cut when a rotating angle grinder fell into his upper limb. He did not off the machine before plugging it back in to the socket.
- A welder was thrown off from a staircase when he got an electric shock while carrying out a welding activity. He was wearing a leaky safety boot.
- A scaffolder fell off from a scaffold and broke his limbs due to unstable boarding.
- A carpenter got his finger chop off when trying to push a wood through the table saw blade with his hand instead of using the push stick.
- A mason got his waist twisted when sawing a V-drain concrete. He sustained a poor working posture.
- A mason fainted due to exhaustion while sawing a V-drain concrete. He over stressed by his supervisor.
- A tipper fell while tipping on an uneven ground.
- A worker fell from height while working on an unguarded edge without personal restraint equipment like the body harness.
- A worker was crushed by a concrete skip bucket which was allowed to drop due to crane failure, unfortunately the worker was working under the suspended load.
- I worker fainted inside a manhole when carrying out maintenance activity because the manhole was not assessed before the activity commenced.
- A truck driver killed a secondary school pupil because he ignored the speed limit.
- A forklift operator released a load from height to crush a workers feet because of incompetence.
From all the Construction accidents highlighted above, you will notice safety noncompliance in all of them.
This tells us that whenever safety is ignored, something bad could happen.
Safety is everyone’s responsibility. Let’s obey safety guidelines and work safe.
You may have other safety breaches, feel free to share it with us in the comment section.