Toolbox Talk: Types of distraction
Distraction is one thing that shouldn’t be entertained on site. Distraction is costly, it can kill, it can maim, and it can destroy.
- Can you think of a crane operator getting distracted while transferring a load?
- A driver getting distracted while driving?
- A flagman getting distracted while managing traffic?
The result of any of the above is catastrophic. This is why we should avoid all forms of distraction.
Read Also: Toolbox Talk: Pride and Pressure Sickness
Lets now consider the different types of distraction:
- Visual distraction: This simply means, taking your eyes off the target. This is mostly caused by allowing things and happenings within your environment to take your eyes away from your target.
- Mental distraction: This means taking your mind off the target. This can happen when you are lost in thought, or you carry out an action that takes your mind off your present location; like phone call.
- Manual distraction: This refers to leaving the target. For example, taking your hands off the steering or lever.
Maintaining 100% concentration and avoiding distraction is one thing no one can do for you.
Always ensure that you keep your eyes, mind and hands on the wheel always.
To avoid distraction requires conscious effort and discipline.
Do not mortgage your safety for intangible things;
Read Also: TOOLBOX TALK: 3 point action plan