Senior Campus Safety & Security Officer Admiralty University of Nigeria Delta
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: Degree
- Experience: 5 years
- Location: Delta
The Admiralty University of Nigeria was established as a Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) through the joint efforts of Nigerian Navy Holdings (a subsidiary organization of the Nigerian Navy) and Hellenic Education Nigeria – (a private consultancy, with international educators as main partners).
Reporting to the Vice-President for Administration, the post holder will be responsible for the security and safety of all personnel, students, visitors, and facilities of the University. He/she provides the overall leadership and oversight of an emergency plan, operational services which include the implementation and enforcement of security and safety policies and procedures, compliance with state and federal laws, guidance, and best practice. He/she assesses the needs and performance of the department and of departmental employees, leading to effective strategic planning, and effective protection of campus buildings, people and property, and parking management. The Director supervises and manages the activities of the University Public Safety Officers.
He/she manages the contract for a contract security force and work closely with the staffing provider’s site manager. Oversee all aspects of a complex electronic security access control/CCTV system including security design, software management, purchase and maintenance of related hardware. Develop and implement strategy for 24-hour emergency preparedness and response. Support programs and events hosted by various departments; and collaborate with peers
Working closely with members of the Senior Management Team, the post holder will carry out the following responsibilities:
- Plans, organises and directs the University’s security operations program for all domestic operations to include all processes and procedures and managing a staff of security managers, specialists and contractors including the 24/7 Security Operations Center.
- Provides strategic vision and direction for Public Safety Department.
- Recruits, interviews and tests candidate’s knowledge of expertise and make recommendations for employment of new officers as needed.
- Oversees the training of staff to ensure proper delivery of public safety services in accordance with the University mission, stressing values of caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation, and making sure that all members of the Community are treated with dignity and respect.
- Facilitates staff meetings and ongoing training for Public Safety Officers and staff members.
- Manages Public Safety Officer shift activity, officer coverage and daily operations.
- Audits, assessed, updates and maintains department protocols and procedures.
- Deploys and directs the staff to seek maximum effectiveness of personnel coverage to interdict criminal activity, ensure the detection and correction of hazardous conditions, and provide efficient and effective service to the community.
- Prepares reports and is accountable to University leadership and government agencies and external constituents in accordance with legal and policy requirements.
- Manage campus parking, including permit registration, violations and appeals, billing, and record-keeping.
- Organises campus event support, including on and off-site parking, on-site security, emergency response, and building access and security.
- Regularly analyses threats, incidents and other operational gaps to develop risk mitigation plans for the affected business unit and report on findings & recommendations to senior managers.
- Prepares the University’s Emergency Plan annually and acts as the Emergency Response officer/Site Coordinator for all campuses.
- Coordinates and maintains office technology needs (i.e. radios, emergency notification system, access control system).
- Responsible for Emergency Notifications and Timely Warnings.
- Manages department vehicles (including bikes) upkeep and improvement.
- Interacts with other University departments to coordinate efforts and maximise service to the community.
- Serve as needed during University crisis response.
- Must be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to emergency situations and/or required by circumstances.
- Has authority to act at own discretion as circumstances dictate and to make decisions where personnel and procedural control and guidance are not available.
- Develops and maintains applicable relationships with local police, fire departments, state and federal law enforcement and other related government agencies and industry partnerships.
- Develops and maintains excellent working relationships with nearby municipal authorities, campus security organisations and neighbors.
- Coordinates and provides safety initiatives to address campus concerns and emergencies.
- Provides leadership and participates in committees for major campus events including New Student Orientation, Commencement, Official ceremonies and visits and Graduation.
- Maintains membership in professional organisations, attends seminars and conferences, and conducts independent research to maintain adherence to current professional standards of campus safety and security.
- Active member of the University Safety Committee, regarding and reviewing safety related issues impacting the University.
- Responsible for testing and issuance of all permits for driving University vehicles.
- Accountability In undertaking these responsibilities the postholder will clearly be able to delegate specific functions, but not accountability for them, to other individuals.
- Hours: This is a full time post. The nature of the post is such that the postholder will be expected to work flexibly and for such reasonable hours (minimum 40) as are necessary in order to fulfil the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- Leave: 25 days per annum.
Person Specification (Experience & Knowledge)
The successful candidate will need to provide evidence of outstanding professional knowledge and progressive leadership including:
Basic Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five years of managerial experience in a complex security operation in an educational environment is preferred.
- Law enforcement experience.
- Must be able to handle a variety of handguns and pistols.
- Experience using personal computers to include use of word processing, data base, and browser programs.
- Experience using security equipment and fire standards.
- Knowledge of security access control software, equipment, and processes.
- Experience in an environment with contract security highly desirable.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse constituents.
- Must be fluent in English (written and oral).
- Must have or be able to obtain First Aid certificate.
- Must be able to routinely and as a first responder in emergency situation, ambulate around a large campus with various buildings and mixed terrains including pavements, gardens and stairs.
- Capable of bending, stooping, reaching over head and lifting up to 50 lbs.
As well as the core requirements set out above the successful applicant will be able to demonstrate an ethos and approach to the leadership and management aspects of the role that include:
Leadership and management:
- Leads based on sound personal and organisational values
- Leads and manages with creative positive approaches that are sensitive to the University’s culture
- Builds consensus, enhances collaboration and fosters teamwork
- Holds self and others accountable
- Articulates a strategic vision to inspire action in others
- Ensures alignment with institutional strategy and goals
- Considers information from broad sources outside of the University
- Promotes and actively drives change at the organisational level, serving as a champion of new ideas and approaches
- Leads thinking about the expanding role of the digital infrastructure
- Actively works to extend the purpose and impact of the digital infrastructure
- Takes initiative to ensure the future success of security services
- Drives toward operational efficiencies in practices and processes
- Formulates a positive vision that inspires others to act
- Demonstrates excellent communication, presentation, networking, listening, interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Shapes and disseminates key organisational messages to staff and colleagues internally and externally ensuring understanding
- Builds relationships with key players both internally and externally in order to gain support
- Develops compelling and articulate proposals and clearly explains them
- Demonstrates excellent presentation and persuasion skills
- Commits to developing leadership capacities in self and others
- Develops goals for staff that identify professional development needs and supports their ongoing growth and success
- Provides clear direction in a way that motivates and empowers others
- Adapts leadership style to varying team environments
- Works with staff (internal and external) in a collegiate manner
- Enhances collaboration with others to find mutual benefits
- Plays a significant role in groups across HE and other relevant sectors
Planning and organising:
- Establishes effective planning and organisational systems within security services
- Anticipates changing needs within a constantly evolving environment and identifies timely responses
- Fosters innovation supported by an evidence-based culture of assessment
- Considers large amounts of complex information quickly and identifies key issues
- Looks frequently to best practices and solutions developed elsewhere
- Encourages experimentation and risk-taking while realising that not every initiative might succeed
- Focuses keenly on customer needs, seeking and acting on feedback
- Empowers others to deliver excellent service through motivation, development, effective processes and excellent infrastructure
- Ensures decisions are made in a timely manner with appropriate consultation and according
- to agreed policies and strategies
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications to the “Human Resource Office” via: email@example.com
To apply, it is ESSENTIAL that your Application consists of:
- A Cover Letter (maximum one single-sided A4 page) noting your personal and contact details and specifying the position(s) you are applying for;
- Your curriculum vitae (maximum 2 single-sided A4 pages) outlining your academic and professional qualifications as well as your work experience in reverse chronological order with your current, or most recent job, first; and
- A narrative (maximum 4 single-sided A4 pages) as to how you match the requirements noted below:
- Applicants must address the following in their application submission:
- How their previous engagements are in line to all the requirements set out above under this job description section;
- How their future work would add-value towards the criteria set out in this job description section; and
- How they best fit in improving the academic work and student services to be delivered by the university.
- Applicants must address the following in their application submission:
The selection process will consist of three phases:
- Initially, the selection panel will consider all candidates that match the Job Role and Person specification criteria;
- As an interim stage, a short-listing of best fit applicants will be compiled and an interview panel will be formed. Candidates that make this short-list will be invited to attend a preliminary interview; and
- In the final stage of the process, selected few candidates will be asked to attend a final interview. A job offer will be made to the best applicants following this stage.
- Full Name (Surname first, in capital letters);
- Declaration of Change of Name;
- Place and Date of Birth;
- State of Origin & Local Government Area;
- Permanent Home Address;
- Present Postal Address;
- Mobile telephone numbers; and
- E-mail address.
- Work Experience, including full details of former and present post(s);
- Full details of teaching and research experience and service; and current total annual salary details.
- Educational Institutions Attended, with Dates;
- Academic Qualifications Obtained, with Dates;
- Professional Qualifications Obtained, with Dates;
- List of Publications, (where applicable); and
- Honours and Distinctions.
- General other:
- Marital Status;
- Number and Ages of Children (if any); and
- Extra-Curricular activities.
Two (2) Referees
- Names of Referees;
- Telephone number; and
- E-mail address.
Note: Most resulting appointments will commence in September, 2018 (fall semester) to mid- June, 2019. While the appointments will be based at the Ibuso Campus, there may also be the need to cover assignments at the Sapele Campus.