Safety tips of jogging is something everyone should know. If am not jogging today, I may jog tomorrow or I may advice a relative, a loved one or a passer-by based on my knowledge.
What is Jogging
Jogging is explained as running at a slow and steady pace. Though there are different definition of jogging, the main understanding is that it is a slow-pace form of running.
There has been lots of benefits attached to jogging. Studies has highlighted several benefits associated with jogging, which includes:
- Jogging is effective in increasing human lifespan, and decreasing the effects of aging.
- Jogging is useful for fighting obesity and staying healthy.
- Reduction and prevention of the risk of developing lung, colon, breast and prostate cancers.
- Weight loss and maintaining good overall body weight.
- Increased energy and concentration.
- Prevents muscle and bone damage that often occurs with age.
- Improves heart performance and blood circulation.
- Some studies has relate jogging to reduced mortality compared to both non-jogging and “strenuous” jogging.
Due to the enormous benefits of jogging, a lot of people have integrated it into their daily lives; making it a routine. People jog for diverse reasons; while some jog because of its health benefits, others jog for fun.
Over the years, people have picked the early hours of the morning to carry out this jogging exercise. This timing is both beneficial and risky. It is based on the risk associated with jogging in the early hours of the morning that am motivated to write this post.
A lot of people have met their untimely death, some permanently disabled, while others get involved in an unplanned accidents resulting to injuries ranging from mild to severe.
To jog safely, all you need is “Safety tips of jogging“. This safety tips of jogging is for you, your loved ones and anyone close to you who may be exposed to the risks of jogging.
Safety Tips Of Jogging
- Use Reflective Jacket: Never go out for early morning jogging without a reflective vest. Make sure you buy one for the said purpose. There are other exercise wears that has reflectors on them; it will also serve this purpose. This reflective vest or any wears that has reflectors will help increase your visibility on the road to vehicles since the weather may still be dark or foggy. Bright coloured wear can equally be used.
- Observe Direction of Traffic Flow: Do not jog along the traffic direction, instead jog opposite the traffic direction. This is important because you will be able to see vehicles as they come towards you. It will also be possible to move to safety in case of any wrong move by a driver.
- Avoid Distraction: Avoid using head set; be it manual or Bluetooth. These could create a form of distraction to you, it could also impair your hearing thereby hampering your awareness.
- Do not Jog by the Road Divider: Most joggers make this mistake. Speed increases towards the road divider (Towards your left), any vehicle running close to the road divider is on a higher speed than vehicles plying close to the walk-way. So you will be exposing yourself to a higher risk by jogging close to the road divider. Use the pedestrian lane.
- Use Safe Jogging Gears: Your jogging outfit can make the exercise worth-while or not. Do not use body fitted wears since it will impede your accessibility to breeze resulting to poor regulation of your skin temperature. It will make the exercise more tired-some, giving you a fainting feeling. Use free wears as much as possible. There are jogging shoes that could enhance your safety, some of these shoes has reflectors which could also improve visibility.
- Choose your Jogging Route: Choice of jogging route is very important. While choosing your jogging route, avoid areas with high traffic density and areas that are prone to road traffic accidents. You must not jog around your area. If your area is not safe avoid jogging there.