|Safety Specialist Job in US
Reference Code: 59421
We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
Our USGO East Region Operations team is seeking an experienced, knowledgeable safety leader in Pennsylvania to provide active leadership and ensure adherence to corporate policies, practices and procedures.
Reporting to the Director of USGO East, the Safety Specialist will act as a technical expert for safety risk identification and mitigation during routine pipeline maintenance and operations, projects and construction activities. The successful individual will possess demonstrated leadership capabilities to include a proven track record of influencing and motivating core staff, line management and contractors, resulting in positive outcomes.
This individual must be a solid facilitator, capable of working with minimal supervision, who possesses strategic decision making, problem solving, organizational and written/verbal communication skills.
What you’ll do
- Provide leadership, guidance and mentoring to regional personnel on safety processes and issues
- Conduct safety training as required to instruct employees in safe work practices and emergency procedures
- Provide occupational health & safety guidance and support for regional site/area managers
- General oversight and technical support of various fire protection systems, regulatory permits, staff certifications, record keeping and related inspections, tests and preventative maintenance
- General oversight and technical support of employee medical surveillance, respirator fit testing, noise surveys, PPE selection/administration, onsite hazardous material management, general waste management and facility safety equipment maintenance (spill kits, first aid, showers, etc.)
- Conduct and act as an expert resource for incident and accident investigations resulting in innovative and practical solutions
- Act as liaison with corporate Safety and Engineering departments and other regions with the intent of sharing best practices resolving escalated issues
- Develop plans, injury prevention programs, specialty training materials and related actions to mitigate risks identified or related to incidents, regulatory events, hazard advisories, best practices and facility projects
- Design, plan, budget, deliver and lead regional safety programs that support regional and corporate business plans
- Maintain statistical databases, trending and reports for regional leadership
- Conduct and monitor employee/contractor safety and emergency response training
- Work closely with the regional Joint Health & Safety committee
- Lead frequent facility safety inspections
- Manage on-site hazardous material issues
- Interact with regulators and external visitors during onsite inspections
- Support general compliance in facility oil and chemical handling, spill response, equipment maintenance and related record keeping
- Correct safety deficiencies upon discovery and take actions to reduce risk
- Design, develop and maintain health and safety policies and programs
- Assist in the development and implementation of employee safety programs
- Carry out periodic safety inspections to monitor compliance to safety programs
- Assist in the implementation of safety programs
- Carry out inspections to monitor compliance to federal, provincial and local regulations
- Carry out special studies of accidents and causes and maintain safety-related records
- Other tasks as required
- Post-secondary education in health and safety, OH&S certification or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 6 or more years of related experience
- Experience with loss control, risk management and safety programs
- Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist
- Knowledge of the natural gas or energy industry
- Technical acumen in confined space, electrical safety, lock out tag out (LOTO), hot work, elevated work, process safety, vehicle safety and related areas
- Demonstrated leadership experience
This position requires candidates to
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Successfully complete a pre-employment medical screening, including drug and alcohol testing
- Be subject to call out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and extended workdays and/or workweeks for emergency response purposes
- Travel to other company locations for temporary assignments, meetings or training which would involve some overnight stays away from home
- Climb ladders and stairs, wear a respirator, work in extreme temperatures and walk extensively in indoor and outdoor industrial areas.