Safety Specialist Bakerhughes Texas
Job Number: 1809234
Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world’s first and only Fullstream provider of integrated oilfield products, services and digital solutions. Drawing on a storied heritage of invention, BHGE harnesses the passion and experience of its people to enhance productivity across the oil and gas value chain.
BHGE helps its customers acquire, transport and refine hydrocarbons more efficiently, productively and safely, with a smaller environmental footprint and at lower cost per barrel. Backed by the digital industrial strength of GE, the company deploys minds, machines and the cloud to break down silos and reduce waste and risk, applying breakthroughs from other industries to advance its own.
With operations in over 120 countries, the company’s global scale, local know-how and commitment to service infuse over a century of experience with the spirit of a startup – inventing smarter ways to bring energy to the world.
Facilitate the integration of new safety processes, direct compliance with BHGE standard operating procedures/policies, assist in administering programs and training in compliance with OSHA, federal and state regulations and standards. Be proactive in the organization – a constant visible presence ensuring safe work practices are achieved and risks are detected and eliminated in a timely manner. Improve safety performance in line with compliance and Company objectives. Coach and support operations management and employees in activities to achieve a safe and healthful working environment and sponsor supervisory/employee-based activities to reinforce a positive, highly efficient, and productive safe work culture. Routinely benchmark best-practices to achieve best-in-class safety performance outcomes. Serve as an excellent Company ambassador and safety champion at all times.
- Provide education and training to operations supervisory team and employees – related to key regulatory compliance initiatives. (i.e. Monthly Fire Extinguisher Audits, Monthly Eye Wash Station Audits, Jib Crane Inspection (Safety Champions responsible) and Training, and Overhead Crane Visual Inspection and Training)
- A Visual Representation on the floor for Safety (Separate Special Uniform); engage workforce to achieve better safety and health performance
- Facilitate hazard awareness small group discussion sessions – on addressing individual accountability for continuous improvement and creating a sense of urgency for driving the corrective action process by the operations supervisors and tracking the corrective-action status within timeframes established
- Lead the Safety Champion Meetings and Team; Act in an advisory capacity supporting the Health & Safety Committee; i.e. industry best-practices Safety Meetings
- Support the implementation of changes in safety activities and operations focus to ensure the achievement of upstream safety performance targets
- Responsible for Coordination and Implementation of new SOPs and ORAs; Champion company policies, procedures, culture, etc. Lead by example. Institutionalize safety (safe operating procedures) as a condition-of-employment
- Coordinate Updates and Highlights for the “Danger Room”; Assist in the development of performance-based safety accountability metrics for driving continuous improvement and align with performance bonus activities/goals
- Responsible for Coordination of New Employee Safety Training; Act as department mentor for developing supervisory awareness – as a champion for hazard awareness and driving completion of corrective-action initiatives
- Partner with operations supervisors to drive the accident investigation process and be directly involved in root-cause analysis, corrective-action and claims management initiatives
- Daily Safety Walk Champion; Ensure that work areas are maintained in a neat, safe, and orderly fashion. Own the Monthly 6S Audits for every area
- Monitor and champion the Guardian System Relaunch 1/per Employee Every Month
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 5+ years of working in a machine shop, chemical, industrial, construction or medical environment
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English
- At least 3 years OSHA experience in heavy construction/manufacturing
- Knowledge of Safety & Health laws, regulations and standards on the local, state and federal levels
- Ability to identify, appraise and analyze loss producing conditions and practices
- Proactive in implementing safety and risk related programs and policies
- Team-oriented and creative problem solver that builds honest, open and trusting relationships that stimulate cooperation and communication between employees and management
- Proactive with a strong sense of urgency and follow through
- Demonstrated track record for sustainable safety performance and safety improvement
- Proficient in Microsoft office, including Word, Excel and Power Point and strong systems orientation
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to build and maintain relationship with internal/external customers and service providers
- Ability to liaise and coordinate with other departments to establish a seamless and efficient process for information sharing and building best practices
- Passionate for building a legacy to have BHGE recognized as a world-class safety leader
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills