Safety & Security Manager Jhpiego Abuja
- Job Type: Full Time
- Experience: 6 – 7 years
- Location: Abuja
Position Reports To: Country Director.
- The Safety & Security Manager oversees the safety & security aspects of jhpiego’s projects funded by US government and private foundations.
- S/he ensures to implement Jhpiego safety & security protocols aimed at minimizing potential risks to staff safety and security.
- S/he will continuously assess the safety / security environment and devise risk reduction measures as needed in coordination with Country Director (CD).
- S/he will routinely assess field offices for their safety/ security requirements and make necessary arrangements in coordination with related, accordingly.
- Assisting the CD in establishing an effective Safety Security and Emergency Management Team (SSEMT)/Local Incident Management Team(LIMT);
- Communicating the membership and function of the Safety Security and Emergency Management Team /LIMT to all stakeholders;
- Develop, review and ensure effective implementation of the jhpiego Nigeria Security Management Plans including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key staff
- Prepare timely security updates, based on Information from internal and external sources including the US Government,to support policy and procedure reviews as well as to mitigate risks to programming.
- Monitor implementation of safety and security protocols and promptly advise the CD of any non compliance and/or concerns/issues.
- Undertake regular site assessments of jhpiego properties and implementation areas, communications equipment and options; report on findings and implement necessary improvements under the guidance.
- Ensure adequate supply and maintenance of necessary safety and security-related equipment at all offices and international staff residences.
- Under the supervision of CD, develop and implement a regular process of review and revision of security plans, policies, protocols, procedures & standard operating procedures, etc. in collaboration with RSM Consulting (or jhpiego’s security contractor).
- Maintain regular contact with other agency security focal points, including NGOs, UN, USAI D and local authorities related to security issues and concerns especially in program implementation areas.
- Under the direction of CD, provide direct support and advice on response related to safety/security incident to all staff of jhplego – Nigeria.
- Provide bi- weekly security assessment and share with the senior management team. Update rest of staff members in monthly all staff meeting.
- Provide safety and security orientation for all new staff, short term technical assistance, expats staff/ visitor/ guests and update training for existing staff.
- Maintain an updated Jhpiego staff contact list and security notification tree and test the tree on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular site visits to state offices and field sites to assess safety/security arrangements.
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a personnel and vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Ensure implementation of incident tracking and reporting protocols, with key stakeholders.
- Conduct routine crisis management exercises for all staff and management.
- Conduct regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation, etc.)
- Maintain confidentiality, impartiality and neutrality being a member of extended senior management team.
- Be readily available at all times to the Country Director and field staff to advice on security developments.
- Maintaining all records of crisis events and consolidating these at the ‘End point” of the event.
- Performs any other task as assigned by CD.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor/ graduate degree in relevant field.
- 6-7 years field experience in safety and security with a humanitarian or development non-governmental organization.
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing safety and security systems and protocols and provide training to staff and partners.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills.
- Effective skills in coordination, organization and prioritization as well as in Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Proven ability to work and solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Experience living and/or working in Nigeria, and experience in the central Nigeria preferred.
- Fluent in English and conversant in native languages (Igala, Ebira, Okun, lgbo and Yoruba preferred)
- Working experience with an International NGO, UN or other donor of development sector.
All staff members of jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Participate in the business development processes.
- Contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability.
- Participate in multiple teams, adopt team spirit, take responsibility for action items assigned and provide feedback as needed.
- Multitask, be able to manage competing priorities and be able to prioritize in order to meet program and/or organizational objectives.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit an Application letter and a CV as one single word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you have applied for.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an Interview. Please note that any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.