With more than 8500 people across five continents and the Pacific region, GHD is one of the world’s leading engineering, environmental and construction services companies. Committed to the success of our clients and the communities in which we operate, we have an ongoing requirement for high-calibre professionals to join our connected network.
GHD has unique opportunity for a Safety Professional to be based from our Concord, CA office.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Regional Safety and Health Managers with integrating application of GHD’s internal behavior based safety (BBS) and health program to include implementation of a behavior-based observation process for the project-site
- Develop and implement project health & safety plans and job safety analyses (JSAs)
- Support client-specific safety including behavioral based safety programs and promote the usage and implementation of BBS tools such as stop work authority, near miss reporting, behavior observations, etc.
- Liaison with clients to include proposal development and support with general marketing and business development activities.
- Assist GHD staff with maintaining and updating online HSE databases, software and programs; developing new HSE technologies as needed; and acting as the subject matter expert regarding new and emerging HSE technologies
- Ensure compliance with all aspects of GHD’s safety program and site-specific requirements
- Conduct employee safety training and project and office safety audits
- Coach and support employees with regards to GHD and client policies and procedures
- Act as the Safety and Health Officer on GHD and client project sites at various locations in the United States
- Conduct PPE assessments, respiratory fit testing and implement site PPE programs
- Manage site drug and alcohol testing program, conduct risk assessment and hazard identification activities, and manage employee training requirements and medical surveillance requirements
- Perform calibration and bump testing instruments, perform air sampling activities (TWA, STEL, etc.), and apply industrial hygiene principles to anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and control risk
Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- BS Degree in Safety, Engineering, Environmental/Earth Sciences or a related field
- 2-5 years of health and safety experience preferably in the environmental field, heavy/civil construction, and hazardous waste remediation required
- Strong organizational and writing skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in desk top publishing and presentation software such as MS Word and PowerPoint
- Possess knowledge of new and current HSE technology and best practices
- CHST, STS and/or OSHA 500 preferred
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations regarding 29CFR 1904, 1910 and 1926 required
- Knowledge of MSHA regulations regarding 30CFR parts 40 through 104 preferred
- Experience in Emergency Response preferred, but not required
- Qualified to perform complete incident investigations using Why Tree or other Root Cause Analysis type methods required
- Travel up to 50-75% of the working year
- Willing to work extended hours when on field projects
- Ability to understand and interpret standards and regulations from OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, etc.
- Current valid driver’s license with a clean driving record is required
- Ability to pass pre-employment testing
- Ability to provide leadership in establishing and sustaining a safe work place by effective interaction with internal and external clients