We are looking for a responsible Safety Officer to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety (OSH) guidelines. You will provide advice on measures to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations. You will also be on a constant lookout for violations.
The ideal candidate will be a responsible individual who swears by OSH regulations. Your work will be largely focused on prevention so you need to be conscientious and farsighted. The ideal candidate will also be detail-oriented and ready to act in emergencies.
The goal is to establish a safe workplace according to legal standards and foster a culture of attention to health and safety.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
* Support the development of OHS policies and programs.
* Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.).
* Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures.
* Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation.
* Initiate and organize OHS training of employees and executives.
* Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment).
* Oversee installations, maintenance, disposal of substances etc.
* Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy.
* Record and investigate incidents to determine causes and handle worker’s compensation claims.
* Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management.
Job Skills and Abilities
* In depth knowledge of legislation (e.g. OSHA/EPA) and procedures.
* Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices.
* Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety.
* Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics.
* Proficient in MS Office; Working knowledge of safety management information systems is a plus.
* Outstanding organizational skills.
* Diligent with great attention to detail.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics.
* Proven experience as safety officer.
* BSc/BA in safety management, engineering or relevant field is preferred.
* Certificate in occupational health and safety.