Safety Manager Charter Steel United States
Company: Charter Steel
Location: Saukville, WI – United States
The Safety Manager will actively promote and champion a strong and proactive safety culture across the business. They will lead, direct and support site business specific safety system improvements, regulations and security to ensure that all related plants comply with Federal and individual State guidelines and local ordinances concerning safety and health standards for Charter employees, equipment, and operations. The Safety Manager will assist in establishing and implementing the safety strategic programs and objectives which support the overall business objectives. They will promote, communicate and drive safety performance through training, programs and policies. The Safety Manager will partner with Operations Managers to establish goals, programs and objectives to drive a culture of safety, and will work with the Environmental team and HR Leaders to establish programs and policies that are consistent with Charter’s cultural values. The Safety Manager will partner with managers in the business at all levels to not only support but be part of the overall business solutions as the business continues to grow.
• Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health or related field.
• Seven plus years’ of progressive safety experience, including a minimum of 4 years at a plant level and prior supervisory responsibility for safety professionals.
• Experience in Workers Compensation Insurance
• A working background with team environments and coordinating safety initiatives (SDWT, problem solving teams or work cells) or equivalent team training
• Demonstrated practical experience in safety process improvement and statutory requirements
• Experience interacting with local, state and federal regulatory agencies
• Ability to interpret and apply OSHA regulations on a practical basis
• Familiarity with basic medical terminology
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the demonstrated ability to communicate successfully with multiple levels within an organization using tact and discretion.
• Demonstrated skills in the area of partnering with operational groups to develop and achieve strategic safety goals
• Strong personal initiative and demonstrated leadership skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Proficiency with advanced features of Microsoft Office software products
• Master’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health or related field
• One or more of the following safety certifications: PE, CSP, ASP, CIH.
• Training in total quality management, continuous improvement and customer service
systems or experience with similar processes
• Background in environmental health.
• EMT/ First Responder Certification
• Engage and collaborate with internal customers to develop strategic safety improvement plans
and drive them to produce desired safety results and meet established targets.
• Lead, direct, and disseminate safety programs for all the businesses plants, including
development of policies and processes to ensure safety compliance, as well as determining and
implementing any necessary corrective action in safety programs.
• Advise and instruct operating management concerning the organization’s safety objectives.
• Conduct annual audits to evaluate operating performance to established policies, procedures,
and governmental regulations.
• Coordinate audits with external partners such as insurance carriers
• Lead and develop Safety team, including the creation of individual development plans to foster
continuous professional growth and development.
• Promote a safe working environment for all employees at all Charter business specific sites.
• Manage accident investigation and corrective actions, housekeeping and safety auditing
• Support and serve as a resource for safety teams to utilize their knowledge of day-to-day
operations regarding safety to drive improvements and create value added processes.
• Assist teams to arrive at the accident root cause(s) and to develop an action plan and followup
system that eliminates reoccurrence.
• Manage Worker’s Compensation and return to work program.
• Maintain and oversee safety records including, but not limited to OSHA logs and MSDS
• Develop direct reports. Hire, assign and review work, interview, train, discipline, evaluate
performance, enforce policies and recommend changes on employee status.