Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) Engineer 1 Chevron Texas
Location: Houston, TX Texas, US
Requisition ID: 341501
Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Senior Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) Engineer located in 427405, TX Texas / United States .
Senior Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) Engineer for Capital Projects supporting the SIS Engineering effort for the Chevron OASIS Program in Houston, TX. The OASIS (Optimization of Automated Safety Instrumented System) Program modifies existing and installs new safety instrumented systems in all process units located in the five CVX operated refineries (Cape Town SA, El Segundo CA, Pascagoula MS, Richmond CA, Salt Lake City UT). The intent of the program is to bring all Safety Instrumented Functions (SIF) into compliance with the ISA 84 / IEC 61511 standard. Implementation will coincide with planned plant turnarounds and will span 1 to 2 turnaround cycles (5 to 10 years).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- The Sr. SIS Engineer works as a member of the Owner’s Engineering team and as part of a multi-function team.
- The Sr. SIS Engineer provides Functional Safety expertise in support of the development of the project SRS (Safety Requirement Specification) and the detailed engineering of SIS solutions.
- Performs safety lifecycle verifications and validations.
- Ensures technical quality of I&CS and SIS deliverables.
- Advises project teams on scope definition and execution strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Electrical or Chemical Preferred)
- 15+ years of industry experience is as an I&CS or SIS engineer on capital projects.
- Knowledge of instrumentation and control design practices and standards in the petroleum (e.g. IEC 61511, IEC 61508, API 556, API 670, NFPA 85), including field instrumentation, DCS, PLC’s, and SIS.
- Strong understanding of Functional Safety Management Knowledge of ExSILentia software.
- 7 years of experience with design and commissioning of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), including performing Safety Requirements Specifications (SRS), SIL calculations, acceptance testing (FAT, SAT), functional safety assessments (FSA), etc. as per ISA 84 / IEC 61511.
- Experience with risk assessment and Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA).
- Strong leadership with good communication and mentoring skills.
- Capable of providing technical leadership under uncertainty.
- Capable of building strong and productive working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability and drive to mentor less experienced employees, successfully coaching, transferring knowledge to increase organizational capability. Fosters teamwork within the project team, refinery sites, and contractors.
- Master’s degree in Engineering (Electrical or Chemical Preferred)
- Downstream petroleum refining experience, including knowledge of refinery processes, technologies, designs, and operation is preferred.
- Knowledge of Triconex systems
- SIS certification (e.g. CFSE, ISA84, TUV)
Relocation may be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.