Safety and Security Assistant Job in Maiduguri, Nigeria
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Ref: req6136
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
- As part of IRC Safety and Security Team (SST), the SSA will support with continuous monitoring of the security context in the operational areas for which he/she is responsible and give timely information to the supervisor which will feed into the review of existing FSMPs, CIMP and SOPs.
- Accompany program staff to field missions withy the AoR in order to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by IRC staff in the field
- Ensure that any incident occurring in IRC program site is timey and properly reported and documented using the existing incident reporting templates.
- Work closely with program staff to ensure that security clearance request forms and properly prepared and submitted on time to supervisor for signing.
- She/He will ensure that Program staff traveling to different location depart office in recommended time and they carry functional communication equipment (VHF, Satellite Phone), and that the vehicles are well equipped.
- Work closely with SSO to conduct daily tracking of staff who are visiting program locations and report the details to supervisor.
- Maintain contacts with government security forces, Local community Heads and other key external stakeholders during travel to Program sites to ensure that IRC staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas, and report any access challenges to the supervisor.
- Assist the SSM to supervise and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guards to ensure the guard force is aware of IRC SOPs and are effectively enforcing the required regulations.
- Assist the SSM to conduct regular training with contracted security guards and ensure that a duty rota/roster is developed and followed.
- During a critical incident at the program sites he/she will support the staff to respond appropriately and report to supervisor.
Required Qualifications and skill:
- A Higher National Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Security Operations and Management/ Criminology/ Disaster Management/Public administration/ International relations/Business Administration/ Education – Languages or a field related to humanitarian work. A bachelors’ degree in similar field will be added advantage.
- Mandatory Computer use skills (including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet)
- Fluency in English (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of local north east language is highly desired.
- Must have completed NYSC service or submit exception certificate
- Training in First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Relevant security management certifications will be addede adavataget
- Competent report writing skills.
- Basic Mapping or GIS skills
- Disaster management and response training/ certification
- At least 1 year security-related experience with UN/INGOs/CBOs operating in the North East Nigeria either in safety and security, logistics or administration. Relevant experience form any other institution will also be considered.
- Ability to comprehend security related subjects such as threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational physical security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces (Police, Army, NSCDC, etc) will be a desired advantage. Certificate of discharge or recommendation from immediate supervisor will be required as proof.
- Proven experience or ability of working effectively in complex security environments and situations with an articulate understanding of the conflict in northeast.
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
- Sound judgment/ open minded and the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and planning skills
- Interpersonal communication and proven written / presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under stressful conditions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Nigeria.
- Flexibility and ability to work long hours and to be deployed on short notice.