Job Role Summary
The Safety Advisor will work with the project personnel to meet the Safety, Security, Health and Environment (SSH&E) performance expectations. This includes monitoring field implementation of and conformance to Safety / SSH&E policies, processes, and procedures. Will act as a coach and advisor to project personnel to positively influence their safety culture to align with the project’s SSH&E vision and expectations. Through behavior based safety field observations identifies areas for improvement and monitors implementation of process / procedural changes where appropriate.
Job Role Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring implementation of behavior based safety program (e.g., Last Minute Risk Assessment, Job Safety Analysis, Behavior Based Observation, Incident and Near-incident reporting)
- Develop site specific training programs for higher risk construction activities. Conduct and/or assist in providing site induction SSH&E training of new personnel to the project team
- Assist Project Team in field Safety / SSH&E matters with a focus on effective process / procedure implementation and continuous improvement
- Supports as well as participates in addressing high risk (life critical) work activities; evaluate / reinforce field supervision and employee’s commitment to safety, worker involvement, Short Service Worker program implementation, and quality start of work process
- Evaluate contractor suitability to perform work at NJ Facility from safety perspective (e.g. – Experience Modification Rate, Total Recordable Incident Rate, safety programs).
- Monitor the execution of the Permit to Work process for all work activities; approve higher risk work activities as part of the work permit system; conduct periodic field quality checks of work permits to identify deviations from requirements and provide feedback.
- Participate in and/or review project risk assessments
- Lead incident investigations
- Assist in the evaluation and sharing of “lessons learned” and “better practices.”
- Participate in activities to verify effective emergency response and incident management programs, including care and case management, are implemented and tested regularly
- Support development and collection of leading and lagging safety indicators
Expected Level of Proficiency
- Education: BS Engineering or Safety Management Program (Accredited University program)
- Minimum 10 years industry experience in a similar role
- Strong knowledge and experience in application of behavior based safety programs
- Experience creating and providing training of project/site specific safety program
- Field safety experience in the commercial construction industry
- Experience in case management
- Experience in managing environmental regulatory issues normally encountered during commercial construction desired
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) desired
Additional Information on Assignment
- During the project, candidate will be required to travel to Paulsboro NJ facility on regular basis (e.g. – 1 day/week)
- Initial assignment will be in Clinton NJ; following completion of the project, candidate could be relocated to another ExxonMobil facility outside of NJ.