Regulatory and Compliance Advisor Port of Spain – Shell Petroleum
Job Ref: 86531BR
Country of Work Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Work Location: Port of Spain
This position is part of the HSSE discipline. This role provides environmental and regulatory permitting expertise to ensure compliance with relevant local HSE regulatory and Shell’s HSSE Control Framework requirements and drive performance improvement.
- Provide environmental and regulatory permitting expertise to ensure compliance with relevant local HSE regulatory and Shell’s HSSE Control Framework requirements
- Contribute to the development and implementation of suitable environmental and regulatory strategies and programs to ensure compliance with relevant environmental, regulatory and Shell’s HSSE Control Framework requirements
- Develop and manage suitable tools required to track compliance with meeting obligations with environmental and regulatory permitting requirements
- Work closely with key stakeholders (government, operators, industry associations, etc.) to evaluate policy and regulation and engage in advocacy to protect license to operate and reputation.
- Coordinate the preparation of environmental and regulatory permit applications, licenses and authorizations from regulatory agencies including renewals and facilitate the implementation of permit requirements in the organization.
- Work closely with business unit Leaders, Project owners and Project teams to proactively communicate regulatory requirements while recommending effective solutions as applicable.
- Assist with defining work scopes and coordinating environmental and other relevant studies (e.g. Environmental and Social Impact Assessments) in accordance with national regulatory requirements and Shell standards and support the integration and implementation of studies recommendations by Project Owners.
- Support the development and implementation of Environmental Management and Monitoring Programmes to meet compliance obligations
- Assist with managing 3rd party specialists and consultants, as needed.
- Assist with investigations of incidents such as spills and regulatory non-compliances, including working with the business to implement corrective actions and prevent recurrence.
- Lead/participate in Audits and Reviews as required.
- Participate in various HSSE & SP related activities such as ENVIDs, HAZIDs, etc. in support of assets and projects as well as prepare or provide input into HSSE and SP plans, Stakeholder engagement plans, GHG and Energy management plans in line with the requirements of the HSSE & SP Group Control Framework.
- Assist with providing environmental and HSE regulatory training to increase staff and business leaders understanding of the requirements and risks
- Monitor changes in environmental regulations, network and liaise with regulators and formulate actions to ensure full compliance.
- Support validation of Environmental data reporting to Group and/or government.
- Experience in regulatory, stakeholder engagement and environmental management systems.
- Good communication and influencing skills especially as it relates to communicating technical and environmental issues, as the position requires participation in meetings and discussions with a wide range of specialists and senior managers.
- Skilled at team working, managing Business interfaces and working and embedding change
- Ability to work in a diverse environment in which cultural differences and conflicting objectives may compete for attention
- Understanding of data management, quality assurance and reporting.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in Engineering/ Sciences or related fields with significant experience in Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering and Environmental Consulting.
- Typically at least 7 years experience in Oil and Gas industry
- Good knowledge of environmental impact assessments, development of practical and pragmatic environmental plans and experience in management of contractors.
- Prior experience with regulatory, advocacy and assurance processes.
- Good understanding of HSE management principles and their application to drilling, seismic survey acquisition, projects and operational activities would be an advantage.